Chapter 17:

"This is gonna hurt like a bitch"

Bonnie had managed to get Joel back onto the horse and ride to a nearby abandoned village they had pasted. She had dragged Joel into one of the vacant house and into the basement.

He was awake now and Bonnie was ripping up one of her old t-shirts to stop the bleeding. "This is gonna hurt like a bitch" she told him wrapping her hand around the baseball bat handle which was lodged in his stomach. "On the count of three" Joel looked at her with wide eyes and fear on his face. "One-" bonnie didn't wait for three and pulled the object swiftly out. Joel let out a scream off agony as he grabbed onto Bonnies arm with all his strength.

She knew that was gonna bruise later but she didn't care. She used her fingers to pry apart his wound causing Joel to nearly break her arm making her wince. "I know, I know it hurts. Luckily nothing important has been stabbed and no wood has chipped off. I gotta stop the bleeding" she grabbed one of the fabric pieces she had ripped up and balled it up, using it to apply pressure to his wound.

Joel let out a yelp, hitting her arm, groaning in pain. "I'm sorry I know it hurts but I gotta do this, you're not dying on me Joel." She told him grabbing another ball of fabric and applying it to his wound again. "Leave" he whispered and Bonnie screwed up her face. "What?" She asked in confusion "leave" she heard him clearer now and she shook her head, pursing her lips, her eyes trained on her hands that were covered in blood.

The bleeding was starting to slow which was good, it was working. "Joel shut up" she snapped throwing away another bloody rag and switching it for a new one. "Take the gun" he forced out and she shook her head "no just shut up I need to focus" she snapped "go" he mumbled and she had enough "JOEL WOULD YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP!!" Bonnie yelled and before she knew what was happening Joel had grabbed the collar of Paytons hoodie bringing Bonnies face close to his. Joel was strong, very strong and it frightened bonnie a little bit.

"You go. You go. You go north. You go to Tommy. You go." Bonnie could see the tears in his eyes as he looked at her before he let her go.

Bonnie fell backwards onto her butt, pain shooting up her spine. She tried her best to cover up the pain but Joel definitely heard her wince. She looked at the man who was cold and shaking thinking of what to do. She wasn't gonna leave him. That wasn't even an option for Bonnie, it didn't even crack her top ten.

She had stopped the bleeding but she needed to close up the wound. She forced herself to her feet stumbling slightly causing her to grab onto the wall. Her back was killing her, anytime she took a breath it hurt like hell.

She stabilised herself and grabbed Joel's coat which was by his feet. She lay it down over him putting it up to his neck and tucking it under her chin. She stopped and stared at him a moment. She was in charge now. She was taking care of him. She needed to make sure he was ok. She straightened herself much to her backs dismay and made her way upstairs to the main part of the house, not seeing the tears falling down his face.