Why did we fall in love?

Luigi looked up at Bowser and gave him a weak nervous smile, he truly was excited, thrilled! It's just... he has never been in a relationship before! He had no idea what to expect! He didn't want to accidentally do something wrong and mess up entirely! He isn't perfect, he knows that, he makes a lot of mistakes and is definitely not the romantic type. He is nervous, anxious, shy, submissive, he doesn't know the first thing there is to be in a committed relationship with anyone! Especially not a giant criminal turtle who he fell in love with over the span of a few days... oh no, was he moving too fast? Maybe they shouldn't date yet?! Sure, he was locked up by Bowser and saw a glimpse of his personality then but was that really enough? Was this even truly love? Or an 'In the moment thing' maybe he is just fascinated or captivated by the unknown? Or was he truly falling for this hellish King? He felt his heart pick up speed, thumping louder and louder. His shoulders rolled back and tensed as he started to avoid eye contact with Bowser, was he making the right choice? Was this all worth it?

Bowser was quick to notice the change in demeanour, Luigi went from nervous excited, to- nervous, scared... He stepped forward and placed his hand against Luigi's shoulder. Luigi didn't look up, he avoided any direct eye contact as he started to fiddle with his overall straps. Bowser let out a grunt of confusion, he couldn't have his lover avoiding him. He moved his hand under Luigi's chin, he knew exactly how to grab this human's attention... it worked before it would work again. Bowser carefully ran his finger along Luigi's chin then with his claw poked at the bottom of it causing Luigi to slowly look up. His lip was quivering and pupils dilating, his nose twitched as he gulped and stared helplessly into Bowser's eyes. Bowser then ran his claw up the jawline of Luigi's face.

"Luigi~ my sweet, what is wrong?" Bowser gave him a softened gaze, his eyes read so much emotion.

Luigi bit his lip as he listened to Bowser's gentle words, he was remembering that fateful day all over again...He can't get it out of his mind, since the moment it happened, it repeated in his mind over and over again as he lay in the cage for hours. He doesn't just remember the actions Bowser gave but the feelings he felt. He was overwhelmed with emotions that day. Fear, worry, confusion, admiration... He was glued to how Bowser appeared, his strength... his intimidating demeanour... his looks... Could it be the moment he laid his eyes on Bowser he saw something that nobody else did? He didn't see a monster, he saw something new, something unique, something worth admiring... he viewed Bowser highly despite him being so cruel... and alas where did that lead him? Here... how did that fatal day lead him here? Was this a sign? Was he truly falling for the beast?

"Luigi...?" Bowser frowned, he was getting nervous now.

Luigi snapped from his trance and inhaled sharply.

"S-Sorry!! I'm just- I... are we moving too fast? I- I am scared that I'm evaluating this all wrong, I mean- yes, I... think you're quite definitely something but... what if this is ... a.... Fling? L-Like- I mean... What if you're just using me as a rebound? An excuse for love! You can't have Princess Peach so you take another human– AH! S-Sorry!! No- I didn't mean it like that- i'm not saying that you're just settling for whatever you can put your hands on- I'm just–"

Bowser's brows furrowed, he growled as he listened to Luigi speak, Luigi was starting to panic, he was sure Bowser was mad, he was sure he had just messed everything up! But instead... Bowser gently picked Luigi up and held him in his arms... what was he doing...?

"Luigi, at first, I was just flirting with you because I felt lonely... because I thought, 'hey here's a cutie I can toy with to get my satisfaction.' but after time... the more you spoke, the more I learned about you and... it touched me. Luigi, I have never been told I'm good enough... well besides Kamek, but that's like your mom saying you're good enough, it isn't the same. But someone else? To be told I'm attractive... to be told they want to listen to what I have to say... to have someone invested in me without me needing to force them! You didn't have to do this, you weren't being forced, you did this out of the kindness of your heart! Usually I have to threaten people to listen to me! But you... willingly got up close, you willingly listened, you willingly wanted to know who I was outside of the terrible things I have done..." Bowser's eyes began to become glassy as he continued to speak. "Nobody has ever said that they trusted me... nobody has ever cared as much as you... I- I'm sorry... I heh, I'm not much of a crier I promise..." Bowser sniffed as he wiped away his tears, his voice had become croaky and sorrowful, he was so emotional.