It's not you I'm worried about

NOTES: Hello! I am so sorry for not updating for so long! I have a job, university, friends, a lot of other important things in life, along with many other interests that I find a lot more thrilling then this once was for me, I have been working on other short stories instead of long books like these, as I know it will eventually be hard for me to keep up with consistent updates! I will admit, it was very difficult for me to crank this out as I have lost interest in the fandom and writing for the characters, I also haven't been updating because I have found many things that are more worth my little free time that I do have then updating a story I don't have any interest in, but alas, I see so many people begging for it to come back! I don't usually do this, but because the story has somehow hit over 30k, I feel obligated to post more updates. I cannot promise updates will be regular, but I will try my ever so best to write in short spurts of times when I have nothing better to do. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy the well needed update! Thank you for ALL the support. It means so much to me! 
Anyways... on with the story!

The following day arrived swiftly, bringing with it a bright and cloudless day in the Mushroom Kingdom. Mario found himself hopeful at the sight, perhaps seeing it as a good sign? The absence of his brother weighed heavily on him; these days without Luigi had been incredibly challenging. They had never been separated for such an extended period, and Mario felt a profound longing for his brother's return. Yet, a part of him harboured a fear that went beyond their ability to rescue Luigi from Bowser's clutches. He couldn't shake the worry that Luigi might choose to remain there willingly, that he might not wish to return or, worse yet, might ask for something heart-wrenching like, 'Can I have your blessing to marry him!' - a thought that deeply troubled Mario. What would he do then? He doesn't think he could live with himself if he had lost Luigi to that beast.

Peach had already packed all their essentials for this trip in a big camping like bag, she refused to let Mario carry a thing, she would take the heavy bag throughout the journey herself, as her sweet Mario focused on his steps and footing, he didn't want the little plumber hurting himself more than he already was, she already believed him walking, even with crutches, was a dumb idea, but he would never stop his protest until his brother was back in his arms. So Peach would have to do what she had to do. The princess had taken Mario home to his little mushroom house earlier yesterday night after their conversation, so he could get some well needed and proper rest. She made her journey there this morning, knocking enthusiastically on the door. Mario was already fully dressed. Overalls and red shirt on. He had one shoe on, the other wrapped up and in a moonboot.

Before Peaches arrived, he had been sitting at the table staring at an old photo of him and Luigi from when they were younger, trying to keep every emotion inside him... but he just couldn't. He felt so much anger, towards that selfish beast who took his brother– but also to his own brother's stupidity to ever trust a feral beast like Bowser, he always thought he had taught him better? That's where the anger and shame comes in against himself. He couldn't believe he let this happen to Luigi, he couldn't believe he didn't stop him there and then, he wished he picked up on it before it was too late, but he didn't, and now look where he was!

Mario heard the bang on the door, jolting in his spot. He placed the picture down and adjusted himself onto the crutches, he slowly dragged himself to the door and carefully swung it open. Peach gave him a gentle smile, he could barely smile back. He was so deflated, he couldn't stop worrying, he just needed Luigi back.

Peach could tell that Mario barely got any shut eye, it didn't surprise her if Mario was up all night planning out what he'd say to Luigi and what tactic would work to crush Bowser to a pulp.

"You ready...?" She asked nervously with a tilt of her head. She wore some pink cargo shorts and a white tee, with her hair up in a ponytail.

"Mhm, come on, there's no time to waste..." He pushed past and exited his house. Peach just sighed and followed beside him, she needed to be his support in case he fell and hurt himself.