8: The Night

Harlan returned to the stables with light blue bedding and a bag containing a blow-up mattress. Cyrus was still standing in the middle of the space, waiting patiently. Harlan unzipped the bag and pulled out the mattress, Cyrus helped him roll it out. Both the mattress and bedding were full size. It would be tight, but they’d both fit just fine. Harlan got down to manually blow up the mattress. Cyrus watched as he started to blow into the tube, the muscles in his arms moving accordingly. Cyrus looked away before he was caught.

“We can take turns if you’d like.” Cyrus offered, feeling a little guilty Harlan was putting all this work to make him comfortable, and he was just standing around.

“No, I’ve got it.” Harlan said between breaths.

Cyrus sood back and studied Harlan. He was a beautiful person. With his fair skin, welcoming doe eyes, and an abundance of brown curls making up the mop of hair on his head. Maybe Cyrus was falling harder than he anticipated. Harlan said he didn’t date, but with all this effort he’s put into hiding Cyrus from the police, Cyrus is starting to think that Harlan is falling just as hard.

“Okay, can you hand me the bedding?” Harlan asked while catching his breath after finishing with the mattress.

“Yeah, absolutely.” Cyrus obliged.

They worked together to dress the bed and get it situated.

“After you.” Harlan said, making a hand gesture to the bed they made.

Cyrus sat on the edge and took his shoes off. He maneuvered himself onto the mattress and laid down on the side, leaving room for harlan. Harlan looked him over. He was beautiful, and Harlan was definitely sure that he was crushing on him. He finally knew for certain how he felt about Cyrus. He wanted him, not just sexually but romantically. This scared Harlan a bit.

“Come on.” Cyrus said, looking at him expectantly.

Harlan got down and took his shoes off while laying down next to him. Once he got situated, Harlan pulled up the blankets. They laid on the bed facing each other in the sables. It was just the two of them.

“Why are you doing this?” Cyrus said, asking for clarity.

“Doing what?” Harlan asked.

“Protecting me, from the wolf, and the police.”

Harlan hadn’t thought much about the ‘why’, because it was all impulsive.

“Because, I think it’s the right thing to do.” Harlan said, avoiding the real reason.

“Really? Or is it because you like me?” Cyrus nailed it.

“Maybe.”

“I thought so.” Cyrus smiled. “Well, I like you too.”

“That’s convenient.” Harlan smiled as well.

Harlan has never done this before. Not pillow talk. Every time he’s been in bed with someone was for more physical reasons, not emotional ones. This was all so new to Harlan, yet Cyrus made it feel so natural and safe. Not only did Harlan like him, but he trusted him.

Cyrus blinked and took a little longer to open his eyes. He was getting tired. He sat up just enough to maneuver himself around to face away from Harlan. Harlan watched carefully. Cyrus pulled the blankets up a little more and reached behind to grab Harlan's hand. They met halfway, and Cyrus moved it up to his chest. Harlan scooted closer, and Cyrus backed into him, so they were spooning. Harlan smiled and moved to lightly kiss his neck. He breathed Cyrus in and tried to savor it. Harlan wished he could tap into Luna’s gift so he could experience his scent even deeper. He tried to memorize his touch, his hand in his. Harlan had never experienced this with another man before, and it was almost more intimate than sex. Harlan did want to have sex with Cyrus, but this was more important. He listened to his heartbeat as it slowed, and Cyrus dozed off. Harlan held on tight as if he could disappear at any second before he fell asleep.

“Goodnight Cyrus.” Harlan whispered.