9: The Promise

The chill morning air permeated through the uninsulated walls of the stable, making both boys pull closer together. A few rays of sun shone through the door. Cyrus was the first to wake up. Registering the crisp air, he burrowed back into Harlan, who was still spooning him with his arm around his waist. He really liked being held. It made him feel safe. Even though the two boys were on a blowup mattress on the floor in a stable, it was the best sleep Cyrus thinks he’d ever gotten. There was a change in breathing as Harlan tightened his grip on Cyrus. Harlan was now also waking up.

“Goodmorning.” Cyrus said.

Harlan just hummed into the back of his neck. Cyrus loved feeling his warm breath tickle his skin. After a few more sacred moments, and Harlan had woken up more, he let go of Cyrus and sat up on his elbows so he could face him.

“What is the plan for today?” Cyrus asked.

“Well, there’s not a lot of places we could go because you’re a fugitive.” Harlan said.

He noticed the small smile on Cyrus’ face fall away. Harlan didn’t want to be the reason he lost his smile. S***, he was falling hard.

“Gerrat should be gone soon and Luna off to school, so we’ll have the house to ourselves.” Harlan said, trying to make up for it.

“I would like to see where you live, not just the stables.” Cyrus said, smiling again.

“Good.” Harlan responded.

He leaned down and placed a kiss on Cyrus’ lips. Neither of them minded the morning breath at all. Cyrus wrapped his hand around the back of Harlan’s neck, pulling him back down. They locked lips again, this time with more passion. Harlan moved his hand down from his face to his waist, pulling Cyrus closer.

At that moment he heard his phone. Harlan reached over to his phone by his shoes and looked at the screen. It was Luna.

Luna: Hey, where are you? Everett got something, and we need you here.

Harlan: Am I actually needed, or do you just want me there for reasoning?

Luna: Both, hurry to the school.

Harlan sighed, putting his phone down. He knew it was probably nothing, but with everything going on, he should probably make sure it’s nothing. He didn’t want to leave Cyrus, but he needed to check on his pack's safety.

“Cyrus, Luna needs me at school for something.” Harlan said, looking down at the man in his makeshift bed. “I have to go.”

Cyrus would be lying if he said he wasn’t disappointed, but Harlan was needed elsewhere.

“Go on, I’ll be fine.” Cyrus said.

“Are you sure?” Harlan asked, sounding a little too concerned for his liking.

“Yeah, promise.” Cyrus replied.

Promises. That’s a big word. Harlan never made promises, not even with his family. Were they committing themselves to each other? Was this becoming a relationship? Harlan had a lot to think about on his drive to school.

“Promise.” Harlan said to Cyrus as he left.

Little did he know that Cyrus would not be waiting for him when he returns or how much things would change for them.