18: The Glass Room

“You okay?” Harlan said, trying to keep his voice calm.

Cyrus hummed and looked down at the ground. He didn’t want Harlan seeing him in handcuffs. Luna, Garrett, and Ramsey were occasionally glancing over through the glass wall. Harlan turned on the white noise machine just in case and moved to sit down in the chair adjacent to Cyrus.

“I know you’re not the arsonist.” Harlan reassured.

“I know you’re not a f***boy.” Cyrus said, smiling a little.

“How’d you solve that mystery?”

“Because I know you like me.”

“I kinda like you.” Harlan said, trying to minimize how he really felt.

“I think you really like me.” Cyrus said.

“F*** you.” Harlan said, smiling.

“See we keep talking about that, but we never get around to it.” Cyrus said a little cocky.

Harlan just laughed and looked up at him. Honestly, he wanted to experience everything with Cyrus. Harlan wanted to make out, have sex, sleep together, and a bunch of other romantic stuff he’s always denied himself before.

“Harlan, I know you’re trying to help me get out of this, but you shouldn’t.” Cyrus said, and Harlan noticed his demeanor change from flirty to serious.

“Why not?” Harlan said, slightly concerned.

The following was not an easy conversation. Cyrus confided in Harlan that he did set a fire once. It was an empty cookie cutter house in suburbia. Cyrus was an arsonist, but not the one they’re looking for. Harlan digested this information, but it didn’t change how he felt about Cyrus. It just made him want to help him even more. At this point, Ramsey knocked on the glass door to the room they were in, indicating that time was up. Harlan leaned forward and held Cyrus’ hands.

“I’m getting you out of this.” Harlan told Cyrus.

Another promise: hopefully, they don’t break this one too. Harlan could see the trust in his eyes. For the first time in a long time, Harlan trusted someone. Harlan knew he would do anything for this man, and this man would do anything for him. This was it, all they had. And even though they weren't good at communicating it so far, they both knew it. Harlan had to make this work with Cyrus. This was the closest thing he’s ever had to a relationship, a healthy one. Harlan was fully invested. He leaned in and kissed Cyrus, sealing their promise. It was gentle and sweet but carried so much emotion. Ramsey opened the door, interrupting them.

“Sorry Harlan, this conversation’s over.” she stated coldly.

Harlan took one last look at Cyrus and stood up to leave. He could hear Cyrus’ heart rate pick up with his absence. He knew Cyrus needed him, and he would save him. Harlan had to.