Chapter 66

FIONA's POV 
I scanned the room again, Louis looked around and shook his head "I heard nothing," 

It called my name in a prolonged whisper, I massaged my head but the voice kept calling. 

I've never experienced something like this, so why now? What will the universe take away from me this time? The unanswered questions rushed in from all corners.

"Are you okay? Do you still hear it? I can stay up with you,"  the compassion in his eyes burned brightly. 

He's tired, I won't forgive myself if he falls sick, he should care for himself a little more, "I just need rest, I'll be fine," I said.

It was a white lie but it's still a lie, I just want a happy normal life for him, is that too much to ask? 

Louis walked to his wardrobe and took two night robes, he slipped into the grey one. He covered me with the red one, "Wake me up if you need anything, okay?" Louis gave me a quick kiss and went to bed.

...

I cuddled into the blanket. My eyes were as wide as an owl till 6 am, my eyelids wrinkled and my veins popped.

If I smash my head on the wall hard enough will it stop? My only fear is the whispers might follow me to the land of the unliving. I ate breakfast and showered but still felt like a thousand-year-old monkey. 

"I need to trace the source," I opened the balcony doors, Louis was fast asleep, he might be worried. I jumped on the ray with a blue shirt,  black trousers and sneakers, "Chloe, I'm off to check something, tell Louis I'll be back soon," I said.

"Noted," she said.

I darted to the rising sun, the breeze in my hair, the smell of morning dew and my journey to the unknown sent a tingling sensation. I lept to the wall and threw myself over landing on my palms.

The whisper became closer with each leap. My body became numb as the direction pointed to Diadora—the forbidden forest. 

It can't be Mom, she wouldn't be able to communicate in years, could it be Griffin? Chills ran through my veins at the thought of his name. No, he's dead.

I glanced at the beach, it was empty. I heard my name—from an audible voice. I glanced at the seaside then saw something other than the waves. 

I rushed to the purple-haired woman lying on the ground, "Are you okay?" I froze as she turned to me with those purple eyes.

"What! No, it can't be, a Glorindian in her seventies? How did she end up here?" I said inwardly.

"My child, I'll tell you what you need to know, we don't have much time," she coughed. I pulled her from the water and wrapped her with the warmth of my inner fire.

"Thank you. I'm Scarlet, one of the war survivors like you, I called every last one of our kind, it's high time we go back to our world," she said.

"I've used most of my magic to restore the mystic world to how it was," she coughed harder.

"But what does it have to do with me? I'm different," I said.

"Yes! You're smarter, stronger and wiser. The qualities of a good leader" she said.

"I don't understand," I said.

"I want you to lead them to a new era, without conflicts and wars. You're a Salvin, the perfect balance"

"I don't think I can do this, you've got the wrong person." 

"I doubt. If I pick one race over the other, it could cause a second war that will make us extinct. You're our last hope."

She's right, I have to do this for a better future, "I'll try my best," I said.

She wrapped her skinny hand around mine, "I believe in you." Her body slowly disappeared into the wind like the leaves in autumn.

...

I made a critical decision again, was this good? I ignored my true self for too long. But as my teacher said, I can't be a human no matter how much I fake it. 

I divided deep into the oceans, through the portal.  My bare foot landed on the soft green grass, that's when I knew I transformed.

I missed the vast valleys and hills, tall trees, different species of flowers, few animals and rivers. I rubbed my eyes, it was not a dream, the mystic world was back.

I ran around the tall trees, jumping and twirling like a little kid, my feet left trails of flowers on every step, the refreshing scent filled my face, after fourteen years. I rolled from the top of the hill down to the valleys. 

"I wish Mom and Dad were here to see this, just the three of us like Dad promised," I sighed and gazed at the sun.

I heard my head at the noise, a group of people gathered nearby, "Oh no, I forgot about them," I took a big jump to the venue. The tall trees from both sides shielded them from sunlight, the breeze was cool, ironic to the people.

...

I sprang up a small hill so everyone could see me, "Please stop!" I said then got their attention. 

"Hi, I'm Fiona, Scarlet called us here for a reason, her dying wish was for us to grow together," my speech was followed by a dead silence and apathetic expressions. 

"But the Glorindians are the enemies, they killed our people," an angry voice screamed from the crowd.

"What! The Elevanas slaughtered us," another said and the argument resurfaced in seconds.

"Hey! Everyone, please listen! The damage has been done, let's start afresh and work as one, we don't want history to repeat itself," I said. 

"Since no one wants to ask, I will. What are you?" a voice said. The murmuring returned, their comments were hurtful but I had to stay strong. I inhaled, "I'm Salvin," I said.

The crowd gasped in unison, some talked in groups and others yelled in my face.

"Are you serious? You must be joking"

"How's that possible? Who are your parents?"

"How did they get away with it?"

"Salvins? I thought it was a myth"

"Why're you even here? Ew, did they have to do it?"

I hyperventilated. Why are they mean to me? What did I do to deserve this? I have to handle three thousand people for how long?

I burst into tears and shook my head, "I'm sorry, I can't do this."