Chapter 3: Defender

The next morning Nighthawk woke up, having a small headache. He let out a small groan as he got out of bed and stood up. "Agh.. myah.." He huffed and rubbed his eyes before looking around the hut to see if he could find any coffee. He saw a note.
'Nighty, I left to get some things for the hut. I'll be back around noon. Try to occupy yourself please. Maybe find some work.' she wrote. He set it down and saw there was a pot on the table, still warm. He looked inside and saw coffee, so he prepared himself a cup before drinking it down quickly.
"Gah.." he said. "Work, right. Gotta help her out. I owe her a lot.." His tail curled around himself and he ate a little bread for breakfast. "Hm.. what to do then." He thought. Outside it was beautiful out, and very hot as usual. A good job for him that he knew of would be some form of blacksmithing and assembling.
So he went. Leaving the hut and making his way through the hot, desert down. He spent about an hour looking for work, but he saw something catch his eye. It was Aloe in an alley with two sandwings. One was holding her down, while the other held a small dagger. He stalked them for a second, swiftly and silently going into a shadowy area.
"Please..I don't have anything let me go!" She begged, she wasn't very strong herself and the others were bigger than her. He could see that she was definitely scared, which led him to sneak over. There was a small shard of glass in a pile of trash beside him, so he picked it up and searched for some form of cloth. He wrapped it around the glass to make a safer handle before sneaking up onto the first sandwing.
"Come on, we know who you are. Healers make a lot of treasure out here.." One hissed, a slithery voice escaping her lips. "Come on." She pressed a small blade against her neck. The items in her cloth bag scattered across the sand and rock in the alley. Soon there was a roar of pain, and a shadow had descended up on the female pinning down Aloe.
"Get off her." A low growl rumbled out of his throat and he pushed her off with his weight. Then he smashed her head into the ground hard to knock her out. He hadn't fought as a dragon before, so this was a mixture of luck, surprise, and timing. The second sandwing lunged at him, his tail pointed at him with intent of stabbing with the barb. It grazed his arm, causing the Nightwing to hiss. "Agh..you bastard."
"That should make it easier." He snickered and went for another tail stab. However it was grabbed and the sandwing was yanked forward towards Nighthawk. The glass shiv collided with the sandwing's chest and he roared in pain.
"This isn't half as hard as I thought it'd be." He grumbled and threw the sandwing up against the wall. "Get out of here. Now." He gave a threatening growl before stomping on the sandwing's tail as hard as he could. He watched the male pick up the female and drag her down the alley. Now turning to Aloe, he helped her up before looking at her. "You alright lass?" He asked with a thoughtful look on his face.
"Yeah- yes.." She said, rubbing a small bruise on her arm. "Thank you.." she winced in pain a little with a small sigh. They cleaned up the mess, and she took her bag.
"Of course.. I was going to find a job, and then I saw you there. What did they want?"
"Anything valuabke. I couldn't let them have my earrings. They were a gift from my mother." She said with a small smile.
"Of course. I understand. Are you hurt at all?"
"Not as much as you. I see he got your arm. We need to get that treated immediately. You don't want an infection, or poisoning. Let's get home, I can help you get work. Or you can even work with me if you want."
"Of course..right. That's not a good feeling." He rubbed his wound, seeing a little blood on his palm and claws.
"It's powerful, and dangerous. Let's go."
They walked back, heading into her hut. He got his shoulder wound treated and bandaged. "Thanks.." he said as he rubbed it a little. "Brightsting cactus ah?" He smiled and sipped some water.
"Works like a charm, every time."
"I see that. Maybe I should keep some on me. Got any vials I can put some in? I have an idea what I could do."
"I have a few. What are you thinking?"
"As I traversed the market earlier I noticed a particular black cloak I could wear. Figure I must hide myself when I go out, from that sandwing gang that nearly killed me. And..I suppose I could possibly work as a personal guard. Need the antidote for the stings. Yeah?"
"Considering how well you did fighting those two on your own, I would have to agree with you. Just be careful please. I don't want you getting killed. You're a really nice dragon."
"Not always nice. To you, yes. To others.. not so much. But that's because I enjoy your company."
"I get it. Gotta let others know you aren't to be trifled with. You're fine big guy." She smiled and pat his good shoulder. "Thank you for saving me." She got up and walked past him before giving him a small kiss on the cheek. He flinched a little, not yet used to that. This made her pull away, and look down.
"Aloe-?" He asked, confusion in his crimson eyes.
"S-sorry..I'm sorry- It was a gratitude thing.. I have to go." She quickly rushed out the door, leaving him alone to ponder what just happened.