Chapter 24: Dinner

Later in the evening, Nighthawk had made his way home with Lobster and Tempest. Back in the Harbor they were, and by then the sun had set. The three landed on the beach before walking up the stone path to the building. Nighthawk had remained mostly silent the entire flight home.

"Hey uh, you doin alright bud?" Lobster asked while nudging him. "You seem off, is it because of the Nightwing?" He stopped in front of him, but the Nightwing just scoffed and walked around him before making his way inside the house. His nose was filled with the scents of recently cooked seafood.

"Oh." He mumbled a little as he paced into the kitchen. "Cooking?"

"Of course! You alright? Heard what happened." Lobster's sister, Sulu was cooking as she always did. There was a large wooden spoon in one talon, which was set down on the counter.

"Yes, I'm fine.." Nighthawk grumbled and rolled his eyes a little bit. "No damage. Want to relax." He began to walk to his room but was soon blocked by her. He growled a little.

"Hey now, have something to eat first. Must be hungry after all that flying." She offered and smiled up at him.

"I'll pass." A low growl rumbled out of him as he walked towards his bedroom. Then he felt her grab his wrist and stop him. He glared at her. "Can ya stop?"

"I'm being nice to you, at least be respectful back." She said with a smile. Nighthawk grumbled again.

"Fine.. Thank you. But I am not hungry." He snorted and walked into his bedroom. He locked the door after closing it before laying down. "Fuckin hell.." He sighed deeply before lighting up a cigar to smoke. Despite how much it bothered him, he didn't wish to talk about the Nightwing he saw. Or to anyone, right now he just wanted to relax and think to himself. Once the cigar was finished, he led his head back and closed his eyes to get a little sleep. That was when someone unlocked and opened his door. It was Lobster.

"What?" He growled.

"Nighthawk, were you being rude to my sister?" He asked and crossed his arms, looking at him skeptically. "Cause it seemed like ya were."

"No. Out." Nighthawk crawled out of his bed and went to close the door, but was stopped by Lobster.

"Uh-uh. No. Not so fast, just come have dinner with us." He said. "It will be fun, and she's made something delicious."

"Why? I don't need to-"

"We want you to join us. You live here, you're entitled to it. Come on." Lobster smiled hopefully. They ended up staring silently at each other for a few seconds. "It's about the Nightwing isn't it?"

"What? I don't care about them. Just because I'm a Nightwing doesn't mean I want to know more about them, I'm not even supposed to be here.."

"Aw, don't say that bud! You're a good dragon, you got a second chance at life. Don't waste it being mopey and sad." Lobster pat his shoulder. "Come on. It's getting cold." He turned and began to walk to the kitchen. It took a little bit of thinking, but Nighthawk reluctantly followed. Soon he sat at the table, in his own little corner away from everyone. It was easy since it was large.

"Good enough." Lobster shrugged as his sister gave Nighthawk a plate of baked fish with some seasonings. Nighthawk glanced up, watching Lobster toss fish into the air for Tempest, who caught them in her jaws.

"That some sort of party trick?" Nighthawk asked before the giant looked down at him.

"Somethin' like that! Impressive right?"

"I suppose." Nighthawk said as he watched them rub their faces on each other's. He snorted. "Ugh, get a room.."

"It's just love, Nighthawk." Lobster chuckled and went back to eating with her.

"Nasty.."

"I think someone might be jealous." Tempest teased and reached over, patting his head making the Nightwing squeak. "Such an adorable sound."

"You touch me again and we're gonna have problems." He growled and swatted at her talon.

"Ohh no, you hear that? He's threatening you, love." Lobster grinned a little bit.

"I think he is. Maybe I should lay on him."

"Absolutely not. If you lay your oversized, smelly carcass on me I will- oh shit." He stopped mid sentence as he watched her walk over and flop down on him. He growled and kicked around, squirming as well. "GET OFF ME!" The giant just laughed and stayed still, but she was being careful not to crush him under her chest.

"I am your commander, you will not speak to me that way." Tempest grinned and stayed put while eating her dinner. His plate was set next to him.

"This is humiliating.." Nighthawk snorted and tried to push her away. She didn't budge, so he just started eating his meal. He sighed deeply.

"Tempest get off of him." Sulu walked over, holding in her laughter. "He's already had enough of a bad day."

"Oh fine. He's not a very comfortable bed anyway." The commander stood and walked back to Lobster, sitting with him. Sulu helped Nighthawk up and fixed his cloak and plate.

"There." She smiled and pat his shoulder. "You can take that off you know. No need to hide from us, we're your friends."

"I'd rather not.." Nighthawk mumbled. She was so sweet to him, and he wasn't sure how to respond. "But- thanks..for dinner, and such."

"You're welcome." She sat beside him and ate her meal quietly.

"This is quite good.."

"Thank you." She smiled. He finished his meal and looked down at her, starting to feel guilty about being so rude earlier. He cleaned his face off before standing.

"I'm going to get some sleep lads. G'night." He mumbled. Everyone else wished him a good night and turned to walk back to his bedroom. He closed the door, but this time he left it unlocked. "Why is she being so nice to me..?" He mumbled to himself as he crawled into his bed. Outside the sun was down and it had began to rain gently. Not long after climbing into bed, he fell asleep to the soothing sound of the rain, thinking about Sulu.