Chapter 15: Sweet Victory

By morning they had returned to the Harbor. Nighthawk had carried the maps and scrolls with him. Once they landed at the seawing army camp, he walked over to the commander and set down what he took.

"Tell me everything you know, Nighthawk." She said before staring down at him.

"Of course. They are planning to attack civilian villages and towns on the surface. They managed to get maps of the islands, not sure how."

"What!?" She barked and stood up. "Of course! Three moons, it doesn't surprise me." She growled and picked up a few maps. "Eastport, The Harbor, Cascade Island.." She set them down and sighed.

"We can fortify these islands. Now that we know their plans are. I have some ideas for defenses." Nighthawk took a map and examined one of the islands. "Hm." He traced a claw around one of the villages.

"What's on your mind, Nightwing?" She asked and lowered her head down.

"Can you get me a jar of ink, please?"

"Yes of course. Black ink! Bring it over." She ordered one of her dragons. Almost as quickly as she spoke, a seawing was bringing over the jar. The Nightwing dipped a claw in the black fluid and started to draw lines and add dots on the map where he figured would be most beneficial. The maps themselves were highly detailed. Some had military camps, others didn't.

"The islands with less military will need more defenses. I have a solution. While they can outrange us with their fire, I happen to have this." Nighthawk drew his crossbow and set it down. "It's a crossbow. Fires a bolt accurately towards the target. It's essentially a miniature spear with a higher velocity. The bolts are small so we can carry many of them, rather than one or two spears at a time. If we produce a few for each island, and you let me train the soldiers wielding them, we can defend the islands."

Tempest just stared at him, scratching her chin a bit before grinning. "You're as smart as you look. Alright. Let's do it. How do we make them?"

"We're gonna need some iron, some sort of durable string and wood."

"Iron is hard to come by. Especially for us, since we don't use it often. It's also hard to melt it since we don't have fire, but perhaps if we work with some of Blister's sandwings we can make this work."

"I figured. I can help as well, with my own fire. Do you have anyone who's good at making things?" Nighthawk asked and stretched his wings. They were a little sore from all the flying, and he was really starting to feel it now. He watched Lobster walk over.

"Yeah, I am." Lobster said with a nod.

"Makes sense. Ya got that workshop."

"Of course. I use it often, working on my own tools and weapons. Occasionally my armor as well."

"Perfect. Think you could build one of these if I showed you how?"

"Certainly bud. So long as I get to keep one."

"You got it. I'll make yours myself." Nighthawk grinned at him.

"I'll talk to the queen about getting the supplies we need, and I'll have Shark, my second in command figure out these battle maps and plans. The more we know the better. You two are dismissed, you may head home."

"Alright love. I'll see you soon?" Lobster smiled hopefully at her.

"Of course." She lowered her head down and kissed his forehead, making the red seawing squeak a little. "Aw, what a cute little sound."

"You shush-" He protested and playfully swatted at her nose. "See you soon, hun. Let's go Nighthawk." He turned and walked towards the town. "Gotta check on my shop."

"No problem. Might grab something really quickly. I'll pay of course."

"You don't have to."

"I should."

"But you're my friend. You saved my life."

"But you still gotta make a living."

"The shop is a side thing. And it's busy enough that I don't have to worry about one item being given away for free." Lobster walked down the path and up to his store. "Get me something cold with an orange label."

"Haha, alright alright." Nighthawk said as he walked into the shop. Three dragons were working currently. One maintaining the currency, one cleaning the floor and the other stocking the shelves. He went to the ice box and opened it up, taking two of the glass bottles out. "Moxie. Hm." He huffed. He also grabbed some crackers before heading to the door.

"Hey, You gotta pay for that." The seawing behind the counter said.

"No, no he's all set. It's for me." Lobster poked his head in. "Let's go."

"Course. Sorry sir." The dragon bowed his head a little and went back to work. Nighthawk walked out to Lobster, who then led him towards a boardwalk in front of his shop. He sat at the end of it and Nighthawk joined him.

"You're better than I anticipated." Lobster said him as he took his drink and popped the cork out.

"I've had training. And being covered in black scales makes stealthy really easy."

"That cloak helps too, I bet. Did you find out who ordered the attack?"

"A skywing general named Cardinal. She planned to go against her queen's orders and attack civilians. Would be a damn crime."

"Yeah, you got that right. But we can stop them. Thanks to you."

"I was just doing my job." Nighthawk said, then he heard a scoff from Lobster.

"You don't have to be so humble about it! You saved hundreds of lives! From a single mission. Do you realize how good that is? Celebrate a little!"

"I am, just silently. In case you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly the most energetic dragon."

"Ahh, boo. You did everyone a favor. And that crossbow thing! Never seen anything like that. You're gonna turn this war around, I guarantee it."

"You seem so sure of yourself."

"Nighthawk. This war has been going on for almost two decades, and not once have we had a real advantage over the other tribes. Water breathing is good enough, but it can only go so far. But stealth tactics, and crossbows? Man! You are something else!"

"Right.." Nighthawk grumbled a small bit. "I'm not special."

"Hey, you quit that right now. We're gonna win because of you. I know it."

"If you say so." He shrugged and huffed. The two relaxed for a while. Eventually he heard stomping and he looked up, seeing Tempest.

"Commander?" He bowed.

"Come, Nighthawk. The Queen wants to speak to you."