Chapter 23: Secrets

Nightwings were a rare sight. To see one all the way in the Bay of a Thousand Scales was a bit of a head scratcher. Nighthawk sat with Lobster and Tempest in a chamber within the summer palace. Queen Coral was with them, confused and alarmed. Nighthawk glared at the Nightwing prisoner, pacing back and forth.

"Who sent you?" He growled.

"Let me go." The Nightwing hissed and wiggled around. She had been chained up and bound so she couldn't run away. There was a muzzle around her snout as well, which was the same kind Cardinal was wearing. "Now! I am a Nightwing, you can't do this to me!"

"Doesn't fuckin matter what you are. You shouldn't have attacked me." Nighthawk growled before glaring down at her. "Who sent you?"

"I won't tell you." She hissed.

"Very well." Queen Coral said. "Nighthawk, you may use your fire in here."

"Hm. Fine by me." He lit a torch and set it down, wanting to get a better look at this Nightwing. She was eerily thin with bloodshot eyes, which was the first thing he noticed. Her scales were a dull black with hints of purple and blue here and there. "Moons.."

"Yeah, they not feed ya or something?" Lobster asked as he walked over. "We could use that." He suggested.

"Indeed. She looks half starved to death."

"I'm perfectly healthy, you have no idea what we actually look like. Maybe you could just be overweight. Like that big freak over there." She grinned and pointed to Tempest, who let out a low threatening growl.

"Oh now that's not nice." Nighthawk pouted. "How rude."

"Yes, very rude. I'd be careful." Lobster hinted and sat closer to Tempest.

"If she won't tell us, I suppose we could force it out of her. Or negotiate."

"I will do no such thing." She hissed. "You aren't going to get a single thing out of me." She backed away.

"Well that's a bloody shame." Nighthawk lit a cigar and took a puff. "Because we won't take 'No' for an answer."

"Well you just have to deal with it. And besides, if you kill me, they'll send more until you die."

"Who is they? The Nightwings?" Tempest asked. "It must be." She huffed

"You're probably right." A slithery voice said from the cave entrance. It was Blister. Lobster and Tempest both bowed simultaneously. Nighthawk considered it, but she hasn't earned that from him yet.

"Ello Blister."

"Queen Blister, but you're still new so I'll forgive you." She said as she silently walked her way over. "What do we have here?" She asked, picking up the Nightwing's head.

"An assasin, we figure. Your Majesty." Lobster said while still bowing. Nighthawk found that to be a tad pathetic. He rolled his eyes.

"She tried to kill me, failed horribly. We want to find out who sent her and why."

"Because they wanted you dead. I told you! There, let me go now!" She said, panicking slightly.

"Hm." Blister examined the Nightwing for a few seconds. "How terribly tragic. We'll have to make an example of her."

"No complaints on my end." Nighthawk shrugged.

"Brilliant! Would you like to do the honors, Nighthawk?" Blitzer offered with a sly grin. He did want to, but he just wasn't certain. She did try to kill him, but she was a Nightwing, just like he was. He debated it for a few moments before approaching her.

"Of course." He rumbled and walked over. He saw her eyes go wide and she tried to move back.

"I was just following orders!" She begged. "I'll talk! I'll tell you who ordered the attack!"

"Spill it." Nighthawk growled and shook her head a little. "Now." He wanted to know, and he would be merciful if she helped.

"His name is- ack!" Her words cut off with a roar. Nighthawk looked up and saw Blister's tail barb in her chest. The female went limp and he paused, just staring at her.

"Fuckin hell.."

"That was taking too long. Coral, get someone to remove this filth." Blister hissed. "That was disappointing." She said to Nighthawk.

"That's..hm."

"Cut him a little slack Blister. It's the first Nightwing he met. He probably wanted to learn more about his tribe." She suggested and smiled. He felt Lobster come up and pat his shoulder while he stared at the dead Nightwing. He noticed, then huffed and pushed him off.

"Don't touch me."

"Alright alright." Lobster moved back and rolled his eyes. "Did she get you at all?"

"No. She hit my armor." Nighthawk grumbled. He sat up and took a few more puffs off the cigar, staying silent while the others discussed the prisoner.

"Smoking is bad for your health, dear Nighthawk." Blister said as she walked over. "Causes many problems with the lungs."

"Mmhmmm." He said slowly with a shrug. He moved his eyes to her, watching her closely.

"Another bad thing for your health, angering the Nightwings. Whatever you did to disturb them, I strongly suggest you stop. For your sake of course." Blister's slithery voice always had an eerie feeling to it. Creepy and conniving was how he pictured her.

"Hmph. They'll just have to send a better Assasin next time." He shrugged. "But they can piss off. We got a war to win."

"That is right." Blister added with a mischievous grin.

"And we're gonna win it because we got the smartest sandwing sister, and ME of course!" Tempest boasted loudly. "Nobody can whip the soldiers into shape like I can!"

"Certainly." Nighthawk couldn't help but laugh a tad at this. "Definitely hadn't seen anyone train an army as efficiently as you have. Morale is important."

"You got that right, Nightwing!" She nudged him with a wing, nearly knocking him over. He stumbled and relaxed. He watched her pick Lobster up and set him on her back. The red seawing squeaked in surprise. "Anyway, I'm starving. We're gonna go somewhere to eat. You wanna join?"

"Uh, yeah. Yeah.." Nighthawk mumbled. "I'll catch up. Meet you there." He sat, watching the two leave. Soon Blister and Coral were gone too. He was alone, looking at the Nightwing. Blister wanted her dead, which prodded at his mind. The Nightwing was going to reveal something important, which meant Blister could be trying to hide it. Another sinister plot from the middle sister. She had secrets, and he was going to figure them out.