Chapter 33: Mojave

Hours had passed, and yet he had no clue what time it was. He glanced at his friend who was curled in a ball hopelessly. It was horribly sad since Lobster was always a cheerful, happy dragon. He sighed and looked at the ceiling.

"Lobster, I'm gonna find a way out. You have my word. I didn't give up on you at that battle, and I'm not giving up on you now. Not then, not ever. You got me?"

"As much as I appreciate what you're trying to do, it's hopeless.. don't bother. If you escape, they'll hunt us down, kill us both. And we can't fly faster than then even if we do get past their security. We're going to die here." Lobster said coldly. That caused the Nightwing to snort. He knew an attitude like that was the opposite of what they needed.

"You never know what could happen, and I'm gonna try. You will get home, you have my word." Nighthawk said confidently.

"Hah. You're often the grouchy one, now you're all cheerful. We're in a dungeon, what the hell is wrong with you?" Lobster spat as he sat up. "How can you possibly feel any sort of hope right now? This is the worst possible place anyone could be in."

"Calm down, fighting isn't gonna solve anything."

"Oh, that's rich coming from you."

"Lobster, you're in a bad state of mind. Once I sort this out, we'll be flying home to the sea kingdom. Trust me, I'll get us out."

"Whatever. Just don't do anything stupid Nighthawk.. I'm going to sleep." Nighthawk sighed. He led down and looked at the ceiling. Footsteps echoed down the hall before a sandwing entered the room. It was Mojave.

"Come, Burn wants to speak with you, Nightwing." Mojave said calmly. The cell was opened and Nighthawk stood.

"This is a trick isn't it?"

"No, it's not. And if you try to pull a fast one on me, I have your crossbow and I'll shoot you down with it. How ironic would that be?"

"Hmph.. fine.." Nighthawk huffed, standing up. He looked at Lobster as the two started to walk up towards the exit. Mojave led the way, and Nighthawk followed. Soon they were outside in a large oval shaped arena. The sun beat down on his scales, and its light was blinding. "I don't understand how anyone can live with this heat.."

"It's not that bad. Then again, you're not built for the desert."

"Oh, wow I've never noticed."

"Ha, alright let's go inside the palace." Mojave said with a small grin on his face. As they walked, Nighthawk got a good look at the structure. It was enormous, beautiful and elegant. All palaces were, really. Some more than others. Once they were inside he felt the air on his scales. It wasn't nearly as hot.

"That's better." He grumbled. "So while we're walking, who are you?"

"Me? You want to know about me?"

"Why not? Got nothin else to talk about."

"I suppose. You know my name is Mojave. But I grew up in the scorpion den. I started out as a delivery dragon, a courier if you will. It was an easy gig, just take things, deliver them from point A to B. Sometimes I was hired to steal things, take out dragons, that sorta thing."

"I see. You have parents?"

"I do. They're alright, better than most." He shrugged. "Anyway. One day, I'm told to deliver a package to someone's brother to the stronghold. I wasn't exactly a criminal, but I didn't serve Burn either. So when I brought the package, I ended up seeing Burn in person, face to face actually. It was a little terrifying, I was younger, more careless. She made an offer, which was really just a glorified threat. I work for her, I can keep doing my delivery business and I didn't get killed for betraying her."

Nighthawk listened and pondered for a bit. "So you went from a delivery boy in a crime filled shithole to a delivery boy under one of the most violent and cruel dragons in history."

"It's not like I had a choice." Mojave huffed quietly. "And it's not the worst job. I figure if I work for her long enough, and I stay loyal I could actually get somewhere."

"Hm." Nighthawk said with a small shrug. "So you'd rather be stuck working for Burn your whole life instead of being free?" He watched Mojave's expression turn from confident to wary.

"Let me ask you something. Are you free? You work with the seawings, and Blister. How is that any different? We both serve a queen, one who isn't even yours. Unless you were to be talking about freedom from the Nightwings. I'm surprised you're not with them, they often keep to themselves." Mojave said calmly. The sandwing was right. He wasn't truly free. Although he was unsure to tell him about the situation with the Nightwings, he hated them just about as much as anyone else did.

"Mm. Very well then. I'm not with them, no. My.. presence is complicated."

"So I've heard. Rumor has it your egg was lost, or that you are a rogue nightwing. And my personal favorite, you were never a dragon." Nighthawk flinched a bit. Not because he was right, but because he felt like a dragon. Even if he wasn't hatched one, by now he'd gotten used to it. Nighthawk let out a small sigh.

"Let's not talk about it."

"So it is the third one!"

"Listen, it doesn't matter. I'm just as much of a dragon as anyone else, alright?" Nighthawk growled, pointing at him. "And besides, I'm much stronger like this. Much more useful."

"If you say so. You gotta tell me about it, before you get executed anyway. It's a shame that, you think she would try to use you, put you on her side."

"Even if she tried, I would never agree. I got friends, ties, connections. It feels like I matter to someone."

"Well that's good. I've only ever had myself. Made a few allies here and there but not anyone I could call a friend. It's hard, especially during the war."

"Yeah, well war isn't about friendship anyway." Nighthawk grumbled. "It's about winning."

"I suppose so, but we've arrived. I'll be returning you to your cell once she's done." Mojave said with a small smile. Nighthawk didn't understand why the sandwing was smiling. He huffed as they walked to the door. Mojave knocked. "Your majesty, I brought your prisoner." He called. There was a little growling noise followed by a few stomps. After such, Burn arrived and opened the door.

"About time. I'm gonna pull everything I can out of you, Nightwing." She growled and grinned. He was yanked into the room and the door closed behind him, now once again in the clutches of Burn