Chapter 26: Mudwings

A week had passed. Nighthawk's specialized training had been going perfectly. Tonight it was time for another battle, once again taking place at night. Tempest led the army towards the main shores of Pyrrhia. Their orders were to attack and destroy a mudwing camp which was dangerously closed to seawing territory. As they flew, it started to rain soflty.

"The rain is good, perfect cover.." Nighthawk said to Lobster as they flew. They stayed close, being such good friends. He didn't mind the rain, it was cool and calming.

"We're almost there!" Shark boomed from ahead. "Just keep your focus and this won't be too complicated!" The army flew closer and closer to the camp. Below, Nighthawk spotted a few small dying fires here and there. He watched Shark shoot down towards the sea, the others followed. He went a separate path, one where he could do his own work. As he landed, he snuck up onto a mudwing duo, standing and talking.

"I hope this war ends soon.." One said as he munched on a pineapple. "I'm tired of fighting battles for a queen that isn't ours.."

"It'll be over soon brother. Don't fret." Said the other one. It was a female, bigwings based on the looks of her. This would be challenging, since that meant she was brutally strong. However, he knew exactly how to deal with bigger and stronger dragons because of Tempest. Even still, his crossbow was an ample option.

So that's what he did. He began to draw the weapon, trying to be silent. Unfortunately since it was slippery he nearly dropped it, making a clicking noise.

"What was that?"

"I don't know. Let's go check it out." The bigwings growled and walked towards the noise. Nighthawk swiftly hid in some bushes, burying himself in the brush. As the Mudwings walked by, he could hear and see them sniffing the air.

"Find anything?"

"I smell something odd, another dragon." The smaller one mumbled, now moving towards Nighthawk. It was now or never, once the mudwing was close enough Nighthawk fired a bolt into its chest, making him shriek and fall over. He leaped up and pounced at the other mudwing with his weapon still in talon. He landed behind her and smacked the stock of his crossbow into her knee to knock her over. The mudwing yelled out in pain, falling over and crashing into the ground.

"Who-" She was cut off as Nighthawk fired a bolt into her skull. He reloaded and finished off the other one, but the noise had attracted some of the other soldiers. Footsteps approached his way, so he had to figure out what to do, fast.

"Who is there?" A mudwing yelled and ran up the hill. The two bodies were hidden in some brush. "Guys I smell blood! I think we're under attack!" He roared. "Get up here!"

Nighthawk was sneaking his way down the hill by now. The seawings would currently be making their way through the camp, taking out soldiers and sabotaging anything they could. He needed to regroup. As he made his way down the hill, he felt something big crash into him and pin him down to the mud. He snarled and squirmed around, but whoever it was had superior strength. He glanced up, seeing a burly mudwing about to crush his neck.

"I found a Nightwing!" He roared and pressed down. Now he was choking, squirming beneath this dragon. "Holy moons it's the Nighthawk- Agh!" He roared. Suddenly the weight was gone and he coughed for a few seconds. He looked up to see Lobster pouncing on the dragon, impaling him with a spear several times before helping Nighthawk up.

"Fuckin hell Lobster.." Nighthawk choked.

"What? I wasn't gonna letcha die! Not to one of these brutes. Come on, more are coming. Let's go." Lobster stood and ran back to the rest of the seawings. The two made their way to the camp, regrouping with Shark.

"There you two are." Shark growled. "Help me with this, it's some kind of bomb." Indeed it was. Nighthawk had send something similar before. Dragonflame cacti it was.

"What are we doing with it?"

"We're rounding up any of these we can find and putting them in the middle. Once it's set, I want you to detonate it with your fire."

"That is a very dangerous and risky plan. I love it. Count me in." Nighthawk grinned. Lobster and Shark rolled it towards the center of the camp. He saw a large pile of these bombs surrounded by large tents. Several troops of mudwings lie in the middle of the camp near the bombs. A bell started to ring up the hill, alerting the rest of the Mudwings.

"We better hurry this up." Nighthawk said as he covered their six, holding his crossbow and aiming it towards any possible mudwings. By now he had fully reloaded it, ready for a talonful.

"Bomb set! Do your magic, Nighty!" He called. Nighthawk nodded. Shark was quick thankfully, and he ordered his soldiers to get away from the bombs. Nighthawk blew fire onto one of his bolts, igniting it. Once everyone was cleared, he fired and watched as the main area of the camp erupted in a violent, bright explosion that knocked out everything within the center of the base.

"Woo! That's how you do it!" Lobster yelled. "KABOOM! HAHA!" He roared and threw his arms in the air. Nighthawk watched, smiling a bit. He almost forgot about the Mudwings. Which was when three of the soldiers ran over while one and grabbed Shark by the throat, tossing him aside. The commander landed on the ground, snarling.

Lobster was the first one to fight back, clawing at the leader. Unfortunately for him, he was immediately tail slammed into unconsciousness. Two mudwings then grabbed him and pulled him back.

"Lobster!" Nighthawk yelled. He ran to him, but was kicked down as well. "Shite!" He rolled and fired a bolt, killing one of them before standing. He glanced up, seeing the Mudwings with Lobster already flying away. "No!" He roared and chased after them. A dozen more appeared.

"Nighthawk! We need to go!" Shark yelled and grabbed his tail as the Nightwing started to fly back. "They'll kill you too!"

The words echoed through his head. Lobster couldn't be dead, there was no way. He froze a bit, watching the two take his friend away. He growled and pushed him off, chasing after Lobster. As soon as he got into the air, a mudwing threw something big and heavy at him, knocking him out of the sky. When crashed into the ground, everything went black. Lobster was gone, and it was his fault.