Chapter 4: Romance

It was four days later, Nighthawk had been starting to work as a guard for hire. It payed decently, and he was good at it. The kiss from Aloe still lingered in the back of his mind. He wasn't sure how he felt about it. She was pretty, and he admired her desire to help and heal others, however he still loved his past partner. He let out a small sigh, shaking his head.
Meeting with a client he was supposed to protect, that was his current task. It was a skywing who had left the army after his brother was wrongfully executed by the queen. As most dragons were. He saw the dark ded dragon land, a look of sorrow and anger on his face. "You my guard?"
"Yes, I am." Nighthawk replied simply. 'Quite generic looking this one is, oh well.' he thought. "You're Chickadee, yes?"
"Yeah." He replied simply. "I just want to get out of here."
"Right. Let's do that." He stretched a bit. "I can take you to a dragon who can find something more permanent for you. Let's go." He stood up. Without a word, he led the skywing into the city. He could tell his client wasn't used to such filth, or the smells of the scorpion den. He made sure he stayed close.
"It's uh, rather unpleasant here. Very dirty.. full of thieves." The skywing said in a nervous tone.
"That's the scorpion den for ya. Always something new every day. You get used to it." He said before letting out a little chuckle. He kept walking. A sandwing stepped out.
"Hello skywing, interested in a pick me up?"
"No, he isn't." Nighthawk pushed him out of the way before he and the skywing kept walking. Eventually he arrived at the tent. "There, someone in here will get you sorted." He said. He looked at a sandwing standing outside. "Ello."
"Nighthawk! Got the dragon here in one piece I see. As always. Good job. Here is your pay."
"There's a reason you hired me." Nighthawk said confidently. He took a bag of treasure before heading off for the day. "Take care lad!" He called. Now in the market, he searched for something he could make for dinner. He purchased some camel meat and some spices, peppers, as well as some nuts. After that he returned home. "Aloe?"
"Yes? Can you help me really quickly?" She called and poked her head out from behind a canvas wall.
"Of course. Be right there." The food was set on the counter and he walked over. There was a patient on a table. "Oh dear-" he could see several nasty claw marks on their chest.
"I need you to hold this dragon down."
"Got it." He walked up and held the dragon down while Aloe did her magic. He saw her clean and stitch the wounds like she did with his. He had always found her he skills to be admirable. After about 10 minutes or so, she had finished and the dragon was bandaged up.
"Thank you." She held her talons talons in his, getting a little blood on his claws. "Sorry about the mess."
"No it's okay. You were just helping someone." He said with a small smile. "Gotta go wash up now. Both of us." He watched Aloe grab a water bucket from outside with a clean white cloth. He dipped his talons in it before wiping off the blood. "I brought stuff to make dinner."
"Ohh, whatcha get?" She asked, perking up a bit.
"Camel steaks and something to season it. Figured I'd make a stir fry." He smiled at her a little. This caught her attention, and he knew it was a good dish to cook for them tonight. He got to it, cutting the meat and seasoning it before starting a small fire underneath a pot. He added a little cooking oil to the pan to prevent things from sticking.
"That's gonna be great when it's done." She pat his shoulder gently. He kept cooking, adding the meat. While that cooked he went to the peppers and sliced them up into sizable chunks, then he dropped them into the pan, as well as the nuts.
"Should be good." His black tail swayed a little. "I hope anyway. Used to cook a lot. Always enjoyed it. It was an art form."
"I agree. How was work?"
"It was fine. Got what I needed to done. Here. Meant to give you this." He smiled faintly. He then handed her the rest of the gold he got.
"What? Oh, no you don't-"
"Take it. Please. You deserve it for everything you have done for me.."
"Nighthawk." She gently held the gold. "Thank you but you need some for yourself.." she took three talonfuls and put them away. "You need this more than I do." She gave him the rest of it.
The Nightwing sighed, taking it with a slight frown. He went back to cooking. Soon it was done, and he gave her a plate. The two ate and he went outside to sit, just by himself.
"Nighthawk come inside, you should rest." Aloe went and sat with him, putting a talon on his.
"I should.." He felt her talon, which made his wings tuck close.
"Come on, let's go." She pulled his talon until he followed. Then they went back inside. She led him to her bed. "Do you want to lay with me? It's gonna be cold tonight."
"Not..really.." He said. "I don't know if- it's just that I'd.. hm.."
"It will be fine, just a little cuddle." She smiled up at him.
"A-alright.." He said with a sigh. He got on her bed, laying down. Then he felt Aloe lay against his chest and stomach. He put a wing over her gently, and he felt her pull a blanket over them. "..Hm.."
"You're okay." Aloe rest her head under his before closing her eyes. The Nightwing was still uneasy, confused and not ready for this. He got warm, now trying to fall asleep. "Goodnight Nighty."
"Night.." He said. He received a kiss on the cheek before the two fell asleep.