Chapter 12: Getting Crafty

"In the army? Just like that?" Tempest asked. They were back at the island home, all in the lounge room.

"That's what I said. Not complainin'." The Nightwing shrugged. It was a little easier than he expected it to be, but that wasn't a bad thing. "I'm quite skilled after all."

"I suppose. But I hope you understand that you need to be ready to die for the seawings if you're helping us." Lobster glanced at him. He had several bandages on his chest where the wounds were. He was healing, slowly.

"Yes. Maybe I can rough him up a bit." Tempest gave a toothy grin before flexing in front of the Nightwing. "I know you'd certainly have a challenge with me! Ha!"

"Hm. Should take you up on that. What's good, is I get to fight in your wing."

"Oh yes, quite." Lobster sat up and sipped his drink. There was a small moment of silence as the three sat. "Thank you, again. For saving me by the way bud."

"No problem. Glad I did. Almost didn't intervene but you were right there, and I know what it feels like to lose family. Can't imagine how your sister would feel. Where is she by the by?"

"In town, getting a few things. She's making something special for dinner tonight." Lobster glanced outside for a second before turning back to the Nightwing. "So yeah."

"Got it. Well that's good, can't wait to try her cooking. I haven't had a proper meal in.. well months now. Shite."

"Oh you're gonna love it! She knows how to make everything perfectly. Now until then, I'm gonna head outside and get some of those stones moved for the new path." Tempest got up with a stretch before heading outside.

"Sounds good. Say, you guys got a workshop? Want to add something to my cloak. I also need armor, and I take it you don't happen to have anything for Nightwings."

"Oh, yes right this way. I make a lot of things here and there, lot of D.I.Y stuff." Lobster led him out in back of the building. There was a few things, some tables, tool racks and what looked like a small forge. Beside it was a flint striker that could be used to start fires, a very convenient tool for dragons with no fire. "Here we are. My little workshop. Should have whatever you need."

"Got it. You must to a lot of projects to have such a nice setup."

"Yes I do! I'll show you a few, but that's for another time. Any materials you need should be in there."

"Perfect. I'll pay you back for whatever I use."

"Sounds good to me bud. Have at it." Lobster smiled before walking back inside. Nighthawk was always a fan of modifying things and tinkering. He walked to a workbench and looked around. Nobody was out here but him, so he took his cloak off and set it down.

"Should be able to add some sort of armor plating, gotta have some metal scraps around." He searched a few chests and crates for materials. Sure enough, he found some iron chunks he could melt down. His next step was to start up that forge and put it to use. He was familiar with all of the tools due to his experience in blacksmithing. A jack of all trades he was, which meant all his skills would be useful in helping the seawings win this war. Now it was time to put his skills to the test.

• • •

After a few hours, some drafting and a lot of hard work, it was done. His cloak now had armor plates attached to it, in critical spots such as his chest, back, stomach and such. The iron plates were wrapped in leather and stitched into the silk of his cloak. It was heavier, yes, but it was safer. As long as he avoided getting set on fire. That was a problem he could work out later on. He slowly put it on and buckled the straps around his tail, neck and stomach. It was a nice fit, very comfortable and cozy. A tad warm as well.

"Splendid." He spoke soflty. "Helmet comes tomorrow." He started to head inside. It was dusk by the time he arrived back inside. "Ello chaps!"

"Did you get bulkier? It looks like ya did." Lobster glanced at his cloak. "No, what did you make? Can't see nothin."

"I took some metal and made armor plates before I wrapped it in leather, then I stitched it to the cloak. It worked out perfectly. Done something similar to this."

"How sturdy is it?" Tempest asked as she raised a brow. "Can I try hitting it with something?"

"Go right ahead."

"Don't launch him through the wall please-" Lobster watched them as tempest walked over and flicked his chest. The giant made a hissing sound and pulled her claws back.

"Wow. It's actually in there. You did good. That's impressive. Never seen anything like this before." Tempest lowered her head down to him so she could get a closer look.

"If you wish, I could make one for you. Perhaps I could even have it mask the fish smell!" Nighthawk let out a small laugh before glancing up at the big seawing. "Wait-" He huffed, but now she was laying on top of him. "Get off me."

"Shouldn't have called me smelly." She snorted and grinned. "hmph."

"Right. Now get off."

"Nah. Might stay here a while. At least until dinner is ready." She replied with a small chuckle. "Have fun."

"Fantastic.. is Sulu home?"

"Soon." Lobster said before hearing a knock on the door. The red seawing went to answer the door. He saw a duo of seawing soldier. "Oh, Hello?"

"Hey. Lobster, your sister needs help in the town. Apparently a group of thugs has her, they want treasure I guess."

"What!? Oh they're gonna regret it." Lobster hissed a little bit. "Tempest, up, nighthawk. You too. Come on." He ran to the door and grabbed a spear, then he was gone. Time to put this armor to use.