Chapter 40: The Village

Nighthawk, Lobster and Mojave followed Plum to the rainwing village. He knew these dragons weren't in the war, so it was most likely safe. Everything was so vibrant and lush compared to the mountains and desert. Though personally he preferred the open sea, for he saw it as a form of freedom. Open waters and endless horizons for him to explore and experience however he chose. Suddenly Plum dove down through the thick trees, heading towards a large wooden structure. It was a platform.

"Here we are!" Plum said energetically. "Your friend will be taken to the healers hut for now." She smiled. "Would you like any fruit?"

"Fruit, hah. Sure, so would my buddy here. Take it you guys don't catch a ton of fish." Nighthawk said as he curled his tail around his talons. He wasn't liking this heat too much. It was groggy and humid, which made him feel sticky and unpleasant. Plum motioned for two dragons to bring them several different fruits. He picked one up examined it. "What's this?"

"That is a papaya, so very tasty. You'll love it, I bet. What kind of dragons are you? And what are your names?"

"Nighthawk. And this is Lobster. Ever seen a Nightwing before? Supposedly they're quite rare.. seawings on the other talon not so much."

"Never seen one so probably!" She shrugged and picked up a few smaller fruits. "Here, have one of these." She offered. It was round with a red to green fade. He tilted his head and picked it up before taking a bite.

"Hm-" Nighthawk grumbled, chewing slowly. He felt juice drip down his snout and onto his talons as he ate the piece. "What's this?"

"A mango! They're wonderful. Pineapples are great too but they sting quite a bit."

"I've had pineapples before, and the sting nothing compared to some of the some of the spices they use in the scorpion den."

"The what? Scorpions can cook? Also what's a scorpion?"

"Oh dear.." Nighthawk sighed and put his talon over his eyes. "Don't worry about it. Do you have any maps?" He asked politely. He looked over at Lobster who was picking through different fruits, finding what he liked and what he didn't.

"No? What's that?" Plum asked, looking absolutely clueless.

"You know, you take a scroll and draw something out on it. Tell me you at least have something like that." Nighthawk said with a huff.

"Nope! We don't need em, all we need is our own knowledge." She smiled a bit. That was unhelpful. Nighthawk sighed deeply and rubbed his forehead a little more. He stood up and glanced at Lobster, who was eating now. Plum just smiled at him. "Why, are you looking for anything specific?"

"I just want to get to the ocean." Nighthawk said calmly. "After we're all ready to go and everything and our friend is healed." He said to her.

"Of course! I can find you a route there, I know my way around here, soooo yeah!"

"Perfect.. is there anywhere we can stay for the time being? Any empty huts- hey! Don't touch that." He turned to a rainwing who was poking at his crossbow.

"Sorry sir! This weird little gadget you have is very unique." It said eagerly. Nighthawk moved the rainwing away before sitting up. That was when Plum turned and began to look around the village.

"There! You guys can rest in there for the night if you'd like." Plum smiled. "You look awfully tired, maybe a little suntime would help, but you're not Rainwings so I don't know."

"Suntime?" Nighthawk asked with a head tilt. He had certainly never heard of any of this. A tribe with no scrolls or maps or buildings. It was something to behold really. By the time he looked up to where she was pointing she was already halfway there.

"Suntime is great! It's when we lie up high to get sunlight on our scales. Helps us recharge and get energy!" She called. Lobster followed closely behind as he flapped up after her. That was another odd thing. Rainwings still had to eat, and energy from the sun. He wasn't sure if that was even possible or not but after all the strange things he'd seen he convinced himself to believe it. They landed and he looked inside the structure. It was a round sphere made of leaves and branches.

"This is some interesting architecture.. seems cozy enough but uh, is there another room or.?" Nighthawk asked while poking his head inside. "Or maybe another he can use? I don't like being near other dragons when I sleep."

"I'm afraid this is all we have at the moment." Plum said sweetly. "Sorry!"

"Great.."

"It won't be too bad bud! I'll keep my distance." Lobster said as he walked in. "And for the record, I don't like the idea of sleeping beside you either."

"Hmph. Yet you love being crushed in your sleep by your behemoth of a wife."

"She is not a behemoth." Lobster snorted and climbed inside. The seawing found a small corner to climb into and rest. He yawned and curled up slowly. "Finally, some actual rest.. thank you plum.."

"Of course! Your friend should be fine soon, the healers are working on his wound. Sooo.." She smiled. "See you two when you wake up!"

"Thank you. Tell him to come here when he's awake, I'm gonna nap." Nighthawk climbed in. "And.. I hate to ask, but you wouldn't be able to wash this would you? I'll pay."

"Oh, pay? We don't really do payment here. Uh, but sure! Of course! What is it?"

"It's a special cloak, but uh..just wash it in the river or something, it's dirty and bloody, smells nasty."

"Oh, of course then." Plum smiled. "Enjoy your nap!"

"Will do, I appreciate the help." Nighthawk said softly as he walked into the hut and led down on the other side. He was exhausted, not having slept since the night before he escaped. As he led down in the nice, warm space, he felt himself falling asleep incredibly fast. They were alive, and most importantly safe.