Chapter 44: The Sea Kingdom

Three days of flying, resting and more flying had passed. The three flew over the ocean during the day and landed on islands at night to rest up. Nighthawk had said his goodbyes to Plum and the Rainwings, as well as thanking them. He did hope he could repay her one day, and he knew he would. By now they had arrived in the kingdom of the sea. Lobster looked more hopeful than he ever had in his entire life.

"Nighthawk, we're home.." He said soflty. "We are finally home! I can't believe it, holy moons.."

"I know." Nighthawk sighed happily. He glanced down at Mojave who was gliding below them in his vine harness. "How ya holding up lad?"

"It's uh, uncomfortable as hell but we're safe." Mojave called up to them. Nighthawk and Lobster flapped a little faster. His wings have never felt so sore in his entire life, but he was home and safe. Albeit a little lost, which was unfortunate. They had flown over the tail of Pyrrhia, and each hour they got closer and closer to their island.

"Nighthawk.. Thank you. I know I already said it, but if you hadn't found me, and gotten me out of there, kept me going-"

"Haha, alright calm down. I know what you're gonna say. It's alright lad, I'd do anything for you, your sister or Tempest. We're friends, family even." Nighthawk said with a small smile. "So keep that in mind, alright?"

"Yeah, yeah.. and thank you too, Mojave!" Lobster called down to him. "We wouldn't've gotten out without you!" He smiled. The sandwing nodded. Up ahead was a large island. It was the beginning of the Bay of a Thousand Scales. Lobster shot down towards it, pulling Nighthawk and Mojave with him. The nightwing yelped as they headed towards a seawing camp. The three crash landed in the middle due to their awkward situation. Nighthawk groaned and slowly got up, nothing damaged. A dozen pairs of eyes were on them, all their faces shocked and surprised.

"It's Nighthawk!" One yelled.

"And Lobster!" Another bellowed. They rushed over and helped them up. Nighthawk stretched his wings before digging his claws into the sand slowly. He missed the feeling of it in his talons. He glanced over at Lobster who was getting praised.

"Moons, we're finally home.. it's been- what a week? Two weeks?" He huffed.

"Been too long! Haha, hello everyone! We survived, and we have quite the story to tell. Who's the fastest swimmer? Because I need to see my wife and sister."

"I can go! It'll be a day." A seawing soldier said. "Welcome home Lobster. We missed ya!" She smiled and saluted before diving into the water. Nighthawk knew they would be happy to see them, but this was a quite the welcoming party. One larger seawing walked over, it was a general.

"Welcome back you two. Who is the sandwing?" He asked.

"His name is Mojave. He helped us get home, so we need him alive. He needs some help, please." Nighthawk said politely. "And I need a drink, rum?"

"Yes, yes of course! Two healers to the sandwing! And you, go get some rations for our friends!" She called. "Tempest has been so dreary, I'm afraid. But when she sees you two, she's probably gonna hug you and never let go." She chuckled a bit.

"Hah, yeah, that's Tempest for ya." Nighthawk smiled. He watched the healers come take Mojave and help him into a tent to treat his wounds. Not long after, he and Lobster were celebrating with the soldiers. It lasted hours, and it ended when the sun set. Once it was over, the heroes had gone to sleep for the night in wait for their family.

• • •

As the sun rose the next morning, Nighthawk woke up to the sound of loud heavy talons rushing to their tent. He and Lobster jolted awake, both startled and a little shaken. Tempest pushed her head into the tent, and seconds after Sulu barged in.

"LOBSTER!" Tempest boomed. "Nighthawk, you Wonderful, wonderful dragon!" She grabbed both of them with her big talons and pulled them over. The two were given a tight, love filled hug.

"Ack- okay heh- ow.." Nighthawk groaned but leaned against her. He took a deep breath and looked up at the giant seawing, accepting the hug. "I told you I would get him back.. hah..moons-" He huffed.

"I know, thank you.. words can't express how grateful I am. My Lobster.." Tempest purred at the seawing. Nighthawk watched them with a small huff. He wiggled free and climbed down, only to be tackle hugged by Sulu.

"Nighthawk! You saved him!" She exclaimed as she hugged him close. Nighthawk didn't even protest. He just wrapped his arms around her and held her.

"I know.. I made a promise, didn't I?" Nighthawk grinned and booped her nose. "I missed you.. tons.." He said sincerely. He felt her talon reach down to his, and they quickly grasped their claws together. "Hm.. I'm so glad to be home.."

"Oh I bet. Tonight I am making you boys dinner, the best dinner you will ever had." Sulu chucked. Nighthawk watched her put a talon against his cheek, and he leaned against it as they locked eyes. Up above he could hear some small chuckles and giggles.

"Oh look at that, I knew they'd fall in love." Tempest reached down and pat them. He just scoffed and swatted at her talon, making her laugh. "Hah! I'm overjoyed to see you two again. You need to tell me all about what happened. I want to know every detail!"

"Heh, alright.. then you better sit down, because it was a long, long journey." Nighthawk sat up, holding Sulu gently. He began to tell them everything he went through, experienced and saw. He told them about the mud kingdom, the Nightwings, Burn, her stronghold, and the Rainwings. It took at least an hour, and a seawing even brought breakfast for them.

"That's one hell of a journey." Sulu said with a small huff. "And you're one hell of a soldier, doing that all by yourself."

"Oh shush, I helped too!" Lobster laughed and punched Nighthawk's shoulder playfully.

"Haha, alright alright settle down." Tempest said. "You two are spectacularly brave." She smiled as seawing general who greeted them the day before walked into the tent.

"Nighthawk, Lobster, the king and queen would like to speak with you."