Chapter 25: Intense Training

Light shined through the windows as the sun rose the next morning. Nighthawk made a little growling noise before covering his face with a pillow, trying to block out the blinding light. Just a little more sleep was all he wanted, but he could hear Tempest's loud voice in the house, talking and laughing as she always did. So despite not wanting to, he reluctantly climbed out of bed. It was time for a fresh cloak, as his smelled of seawater and fish. He quickly put on one of his fresh and clean cloak before standing and opening the door.

"There he is! Good morning Nighty!" Tempest barked while glancing over at him. "About time ya woke up!" She grinned before lowering her head to him. "Got enough beauty sleep?"

"Hrmph.." Nighthawk grumbled and swatted at her gently. "I definitely look a lot better than your ugly mug, that's for damn sure.." He spat with a small laugh. He was in a good mood today, despite being exhausted.

"Oh well that is just rude." Tempest snorted.

"You better be careful making comments like that. She has a tendency to sit on others as payback. Not exactly the ideal chiropractor." Lobster teased and walked over to his wife. "Watch this." He reached up and began scratching behind her ear, making the big seawing lay down and purr while thumping her tail.

"Oh moons. She's like a bloody cat." Nighthawk chuckled. "How adorable. You ever throw a ball and see if she chases it?"

"Har har, little Nightwing." Tempest moved her face to him. Nighthawk's nose wrinkled when he smelled her fish breath.

"Ugh- wow-" He started coughing. "Bleh- shite.. fish breath-"

"It's really not that bad." Lobster said. "Fish smells great!"

"Absolutely fuckin not- not like that.. certainly not up close.. how do you even kiss that?"

"Because she's my wife, and it doesn't smell that bad. I think you're just weak."

"I am most certainly not weak." Nighthawk protested and crossed his arms. "Anyway- what's for breakfast?"

"My sister made pancakes. Best darn pancakes you'll ever taste, I tell ya!"

"Hm. You seem rather confident in that. But considering how utterly spectacular her cooking is, I'm inclined to believe it." Nighthawk shrugged and started to walk to the kitchen. "Good morning."

"There's grumpy. You in a better mood or what?" Sulu asked. She set her cooking utensils down on the counter. She turned and walked over to him before fixing his cloak. "Take that off.."

"It's cozy."

"Whatever you say." Sulu kept fixing his cloak. Both were surprised he didn't mind it. He just sat there and let her, staying still. "There. Much neater, you should at least take better care of this."

"It's just fine, Sulu.." Nighthawk said quietly as he looked down at her. "But thanks.."

"Of course. Would you like some breakfast?"

"Yes please.." Nighthawk relaxed, feeling less tense around her. It was both a good and bad thing. He didn't want to get attached, but he also knew how wonderful she was. He went to sit at the table, thinking to himself. Lobster and Tempest arrived in the kitchen soon after.

About an hour later after breakfast, Nighthawk sat alone on the beach. He fiddled with his crossbow while the sun beat down on his wings and cloak. He heard thumping from behind him, so he turned and glanced up. "Tempest?"

"You ready for a little training? Figured I could give you a special private lesson." She had her bulky armor on. It looked heavier than a whole dragon. It was made of a navy blue metal with gold fins on the shoulders. The chest plate was broad and lengthy with many chips and dents in it.

"Oh, sure. I suppose, yeah." Nighthawk said before standing and shaking some sand off of him. "What are we doing?"

"You are going to defeat me." She said with a big grin on her face. "Just knock me down, is all."

"What-"

"It's not that hard. Gonna show you some weak spots on dragons, help ya out."

"Just don't break my spine."

"Oh I would never."

"Uh huh.. Got a training ground or somethin'?"

"Yes, follow me." Tempest said as she stood and spread her wings. He watched her flap into the air and head south, so he followed. Their flight was rather short. It was a small, deserted island other than a few weapon racks and such. Simple and perfect for training one on one. 

"Alright, SO." She boomed and tossed him a spear from a rack. "You are going to take this, jab the blunt end into the back of my knee, without getting stepped on. Got it?"

"I got it, yeah." Nighthawk said. One thing that hadn't occured to him was that he didn't have his armored cloak. Surely she wouldn't hurt him too badly.

"Alright. Go." Tempest thumped her tail and got in a fighting position. Nighthawk charged at her head on. At first it seemed like a dumb idea as she went to snap her jaws at him, but he rolled to the side and thwacked her snout in the process. He danced around beneath her talons, dodging any swipes and attempts to grab him. Quite fast he was without his armor as he bolted towards her hind leg as she said. Once he was there he spun the spear around and jabbed it into the back of her knee.

Tempest made a little grunting noise as her knee bent inward, causing her to collapse forward. It was like an avalanche watching her fall, and once she hit the ground there was a loud thud followed by a huge cloud of sand that flew into the air.

"Woah! That was better than I expected!" She said with a friendly growl as she stood. "Nighthawk you are one talented dragon, but.." She gently swiped her tail at his feet. This caught him off guard and he fell back down. "You should really be more aware of your surroundings. What I did right there is a great counter attack when you're knocked down."

"Yep.. understood.." He grumbled and huffed. He stood and looked up at the giant. "So what now then?"

"Now, you and I are going to train for the rest of the day. We got a big battle coming up and I want you to be ready. So, let's get into it!" She growled confidently. Nighthawk was ready. He knew this was going to be a long but worthwhile day. And it would get him back one step closer to being able to defeat Viper.