Chapter 27: Taken

Images of the red seawing made their way through his head. The two chatting and fishing together, laughing and sharing stories. He remembered saving his life, stitching him up so he wouldn't bleed out. Watching his best friend get carried away to his doom brought back a familiar pain. A large talon shook him violently. His head was throbbing as he began to awaken from his current state.

"WHERE IS MY HUSBAND!?" A voice roared and shook him more. "Where is Lobster!?" She roared again. Nighthawk rubbed his face with a groan, feeling an immense pain all over him. He glanced up and saw and angry Tempest. Her teeth were barred and her wings flared open. The sail that ran from her head to her tail was sticking up as well.

"What-.." Nighthawk let out a low  pained groan. "Lobster..fuck.." He winced. He was slammed against a wall, making him yelp with pain.

"Tempest- easy." Another voice said. "It's not his fault. There were too many."

"Shark, my husband is GONE! He's probably dead!" She yelled again, still holding Nighthawk on the wall. The Nightwing squirmed and tried to wiggle free, but he felt the pressure increasing.

"Put me in down please.." Nighthawk pushed on her claws, huffing. "You're crushing me..!" He whimpered. Her giant claws moved back and he was released, falling to the floor with a groan. "Bloody hell.."

"Where is Lobster? What happened!?" She asked again, lowering her head to him. "How could you let that happen!?"

"The Mudwings got him- for moons sake.. I tried to go after him. One of the bastards knocked me out of the sky."

"Nighthawk- what if he's dead? I can't lose him. We have been married for almost a decade!" Tempest looked panicked, scared. He never seen her this upset. She was always calm, charismatic and energetic but now she looked sad and fearful.

"You won't lose him. They've probably got him as a prisoner.." Nighthawk sighed. Or, a worse thought. Since the Mudwings were allied with Burn it meant Lobster could be given to her as an oddity. He shivered at the thought, not wanting to lose his best friend like that.

"What are we going to do.." Tempest put her talon over her eyes and took a few long deep breaths.

"Perhaps a rescue mission?" Shark suggested.

"At the mudwing palace? It's probably where they're keeping him! Do you have any idea how fortified that would be? And we wouldn't be able to make it there without going through nearly the entire mudwing tribe!"

"Tempest, relax for a second." Nighthawk said quietly as he thought for a minute. There was one possibility, a particularly simple yet perfect one. "I could go alone. Break in, make my way through, find him and free him." He offered. Based on the way she reacted to that, he knew she liked it. He could also tell she was worried at the same time.

"Are you sure? That's one hell of a risk.. it could work but we can't lose you either."

"Tempest, I know how to do this. I've done it before.." Nighthawk said confidently. "I'll get him home."

"Nighthawk, if you're certain you can pull this off.." Tempest started, but fell quiet. "I can't lose him, neither can his sister. Do you understand?"

"Of course. You have my word. I will not fail you, Commander." Nighthawk said with a nod. "Now can I get some medicine for my head? Hurts quite a bit."

"I'll go bring you some, yes." Shark said with a nod as he walked out. It just hit him that he was in a medical tent. He wasn't entirely sure where though. "Is Sulu alright?" He asked.

"She doesn't know yet.." Tempest sighed and rubbed her face a little bit. "I'm not sure how to break it to her.."

"Hm.." Nighthawk frowned a little and looked down at his talons. The pain for Sulu would be similar to him, and he knew Tempest was definitely feeling the same way he was. "Tempest.."

"What is it..?" She asked. When he looked up at her he saw her ears down to the sides of her head.

"I lost my partner too, but Lobster might not be dead.. there is hope. You can count on me." Nighthawk said soflty.

"Thank you.."

"Of course.. friends help each other." Nighthawk smiled a bit. A rare sight that, Nighthawk smiling. He meant it. He was going to save Lobster. "Is Sulu here?"

"No, she's at home currently." Tempest said. "If you're feeling alright, we can get going."

"Of course.." Nighthawk sighed and stretched. Shark came back with the medicine, which he downed quickly as soon as he got his claws on it. After which they began to head back home with the army.

Several hours of flying past. Nighthawk and Tempest arrived back home. The two landed on the beach and proceeded in. Nighthawk watched Sulu make her way to the door.

"Hey guys!" She smiled brightly and looked around. "Where's Lobster?" She asked, glancing behind them for her brother. "Lobster?"

"Sulu..we.. we have- bad news.." Tempest said soflty. Nighthawk could see it in her eyes. Sulu immediately understood what she was about to hear.

"No..no- don't. Please don't tell me.." Sulu started to whimper, looking scared. "Please.."

"Sulu I- I tried.. they got him..they captured him.." Nighthawk winced. His ears dropped as he looked at her. That didn't help, because she started crying. He winced and paused, going silent.

"But- he can't be! Lobster- oh Lobster.." She crumpled down onto the floor, starting to sob. Nighthawk watched her, feeling Tempest put her talon on his shoulder. Suddenly he was nudged forward by the large seawing, causing him to let out a startled yelp. He nearly collided with Sulu, but he helped her up and looked at her. He knew what he had to say.

"Sulu.." He said softly, holding her up while wiping her eyes. She looked up at him, their eyes meeting each other. "I'm going to save him. I'll get your brother home, no matter the cost."