Chapter 5: Viper

It had been two months. He learned about the war going on between the sandwing queens, which side everyone was on, who was doing the best. 15 Years it had been raging. He and Aloe had started to get closer. As his career as a guard developed, he had also developed enemies. He attracted the attention of Viper, who was the leader of the Cowboys from Hell. They were a ruthless drug gang that took over whatever they wanted to use as distribution centers for their product. This was due to protecting a client from one of their couriers. Other than the occasional mishap with the gang,
his life had started to turn around.
"Nighthawk!" Aloe called as she burst through the door of her hut, a big smile on her face. "I got some awesome news!" Her startling entrance caused the Nightwing to flinch a little.
"Moons! What?" He said as he glanced over at her. "You startled me."
"I'm going to work for more treasure now!" She smiled.
"That's good, who for?" He asked, tilting his head to the side as he sipped his tea. He had always loved tea, and he was excited to learn that dragons had it too. Two cups a day for him was his intake.
"This dragon named Viper. I know I know, he's dangerous and whatnot but I'll be healing, and I'll be payed really well. Soo.."
"No, Aloe. Absolutely not. You can't work for them." He said, frowning a bit. "They're evil!"
"Nighthawk it's fine. I won't be doing anything evil." She protested.
"It's not fine. They are drug lords who kill and manipulate anyone and everything they can to get what they want. You can't do this. I won't let you. You're too good a soul for this."
"I'm just going to be a medic. I'll only be healing, not hurting." She stepped forward and took his talons in hers. "Trust me.." She smiled hopefully. They stared at each other in silence, a long, quiet moment. Until he finally broke it.
"No.. I don't want them using you. You are my friend. One of my only friends right now and I can't lose you, not to them. Not to anyone."
"What do you have against them?" She gave a sad look, she wanted the opportunity to help more and get more money.
"They.. killed them. Okay? I found out it was him. He and his dragons killed my family and turned my life upside down. I can't let you get hurt by them too." He sighed. "Tell them no."
"But Nighthawk, I need this! Please, you can protect me." She begged. She squeezed her claws in his. "Please.."
"No. You can't, and I won't let them use you. End of discussion. They are bad, they aren't someone you want to work with. It's for your own good." He looked into her eyes, trying to show he was worried for her. Then another sandwing entered.
"Nighthawk, Let her work for us. It will be good for her. Perhaps, even you can join too..you could be useful." The pale colored sandwing was taller than him, and he had some scars on his body. An eye patch over his right eye as well. It was Viper, the leader of the gang. "Of course, you will be payed handsomely."
Nighthawk stood, stretching his wings. He wasn't scared of him, nor anyone. He reached for a blade on the table. "Ah, Viper. Why don't you give me a good reason not to gut you right now. You already took two important people from me, don't need you taking dragons next." He got a chuckle from Viper.
"You really think I'll just let such a perfect business opportunity go? Delusional. Just as you were when I captured you. A little scavenger, little experiment. Turned out great. Heard great things from you. You weren't supposed to remember as much as you did, but not everything is flawless." He fiddled with his claws gently. "Aloe come, don't let him stop you. You are your own dragon."
"Aloe.. please if you do truly love me you'll listen to me. It's for your own good. He's going to use you."
"Nighthawk.. I really need this..you don't understand."
"She does. And she deserves such a position. You're lucky to be standing, Nightwing. Let her go, and you will be spared." Viper hissed, his voice deep and slithery. That barbed tail of his curled dangerously towards him. "Let's not be stupid here. And besides, you come close and you're dead. You can't stop this."
Nighthawk took a deep breath, looking at Viper. "You're right, you have me cornered." He raised the knife and got a small glare from Viper, who didn't seem very confident in such a stance. The blade was pointed at him. "Recede."
"I don't think I will. Let's go Aloe." He said, then to his surprise the knife blade was ejected out of the handle with a twang sound. It hit viper in the arm, causing him to roar in pain and back out of the hut while holding his arm. "BASILISK! BURN IT!"
"Nighthawk! No!" Aloe yelled, then she rushed out of the hut. A loud cracking sound was heard before a violent and large blast of flame smashed through the wall, burning and melting the hut. He bolted for the back door, rushing out before he was burned alive. Once outside, he saw a towering behemoth of a sandwing. Much larger than what should have been possible. Twice the size of the hut and three times as tall as Viper. He was horrified, feeling like a small scared human all over again. However he pushed the fear back and looked for Aloe. "Aloe!"
"MY HUT! STOP!" She roared, hitting Basilisk's arm. The large sandwing turned and snorted, tilting his head. He definitely wasn't very smart by the looks of it. Nighthawk just watched as he ran over to Aloe. "Nighthawk what is wrong with you!?"
"I was trying to help-" He was cut off by sharp claws slashing across his snout, leaving two deep marks on his muzzle. "Aloe-"
"GET OUT OF HERE!" She roared, pushing him away. "You just destroyed my life!" She screamed and blasted a little fire at him. She then backed up, a bit shocked at herself for what she said. She was just angry and scared, and she didn't mean it. Her ears went back as she saw Nighthawk's eyes tear up.
Nighthawk covered his snout, feeling heartbroken. He understood, and he fought back his tears. "Fine..I'll go. You won't have to see me again. Have fun with Viper.. I won't ruin your life anymore.." He growled, blood dripping down his snout. He spread his dark wings and shot up into the night sky. Glancing down one last time to see Aloe on the sand, curled up and sobbing as her hut burned to ashes. There was quite the crowd gathering now. He had to leave, and he wasn't coming back.