Chapter 38: He's Back!

Nighthawk stared at Mojave, then he glanced up at Viper. He let out a low snarl. How could they have been found? Nobody was following them, and Mojave certainly couldn't have been planning to betray them if it meant he would be killed. There were too many questions to worry about at the moment. The Nightwing snarled at Viper.

"You!" Nighthawk hissed.

"Hello again." Viper grinned, stepping over Mojave as he entered the cave. Nighthawk raised his crossbow as swift as he could before shooting the sandwing directly in the chest. The shot wasn't lethal, but it would definitely slow him down. Viper yelled out in pain before clutching where the bolt hit. "Hng-"

"You're bold to even show up here.." Nighthawk snarled and reloaded the weapon and pointed it at him again. "I have a long, painful death planned for you, you sick bastard.."

"Hah.." Viper hissed. "Burn is on her way, just so you know. And when she gets her claws on you, you're dead." He huffed and tried to stand. "And..even then I have my gang outside..hng-" He growled.

"Don't move." Nighthawk snarled. On the floor, Mojave groaned and tried to stand, but his wound was making it impossible to move. Outside there was a loud thud, followed by a large talon reaching in and pulling Viper away. "Fuck, not again-" It was the giant sandwing that destroyed Aloe's home all those months back.

"Basilisk- for once you've proven yourself useful. Crush them!" Viper yelled.

"Of course." The large sandwing lifted his talons and slammed them into the top of the cave. It sounded like an earthquake as the ground above them crumbled. Mojave's hideout caved in, but thanks to some quick thinking Nighthawk had pulled the sandwing back. From the bed, Lobster let out a startled yell as he woke suddenly. He began to cough, and so did the other two inside the structure. Once the dust settled, Nighthawk looked at the entrance. It was completely caved in and they had no way out.

"I got em!" A deep voice boomed. "Smashed em good! Yeah!"

"No- did you not hear the coughing? They're still alive." Viper yelled. Both of their voices were muffled. "Start digging! They're of no use to us if we can't confirm the kills." The sandwing ordered.

"Mojave, Get up. There has to be a way out." Nighthawk said as he shook him. The sandwing groaned. Upon further inspection he found a beam on top of the sandwing's leg and tail. Both had been crushed. "Shit- Lobster, get your ass up and help me move this damn thing!" He yelled. The seawing jolted up and ran over. Using their combined strength, they were able to lift the bean off of Mojave. Nighthawk lifted him up onto his back, bracing him.

"There's an escape tunnel behind the bed Lobster was in.." Mojave said weakly as he wrapped his arm around Nighthawk's neck. "It hurts-"

"You're gonna be okay, just breathe, focus on breathing." Nighthawk was shaking. He hadn't felt this terrified in a long time. Lobster had moved the bed, followed by several wooden planks, revealing a small tunnel they could crawl into.

"Lobster, go first. We're gonna get you out of this." More digging could be heard from behind them. "Hurry it up!"

"Alright alright-" The seawing crawled into the tunnel first. "Where does this go?"

"Deep underground, other side of the mountain." Mojave mumbled. Nighthawk could feel his grip loosening.

Nighthawk held his wrist before he began to crawl into the tunnel. He pushed Mojave forward so he was between him and Lobster. After that he turned and sealed up the entrance to the escape tunnel. More ground crumbled behind them, but by the time the sandwings dug into the collapsed hideout, the trio had disappeared into the tunnel. It was dark inside, but his night vision allowed him to see.

"We can rest up ahead.. there should be a little spot we can rest."

"Got it. I'm going to cauterize your wound.." Nighthawk said to him. He could see it up ahead. A small space where they could rest and heal for a moment. After setting Mojave down, he drew his knife and started to heat up the blade. "Just hold still.." He sighed. It didn't take too long, and soon the wound was mostly shut. Mojave took several long pained breaths.

"Thank you- that hurts..agh..we need to move-"

"Lobster, you doing okay?" Nighthawk asked him. The seawing nodded before lighting up his scales so they could see better. "Oh, look at that." He chuckled, then lifted Mojave up again.

"Yeah, I thought we could use it." He rubbed his eyes a little and got up before leading the way. The tunnel was dirty and damp. The tunnel twisted and turned many times and it only seemed like they were going further and further into the mountain. Finally they saw moonlight up ahead. Lobster stopped his scales from glowing, and walked outside. Nighthawk followed as he carried Mojave. Before them was the eastern side of the claws of the clouds mountains.

"Woah- that got us pretty far.." Lobster said. "Wow."

"We were in there for hours, lad." Nighthawk said. "But we gotta keep moving, can't stay here."

"But where do we go?" Lobster asked. "The skywings are probably looking for us by now."

"Mm.." Nighthawk looked down below, searching for anything they could use to hide or escape. He saw a river. Just as he looked at Lobster to tell him, the seawing was already making his way down the mountain, gliding low. "Hah.. alright.. Be right back." He set Mojave on the ground and flew down. He couldn't hear any wingbeats or smell any fire, which meant they were safe for the time being. As he landed by the river, he could see Lobster diving in towards the bottom for a few seconds before resurfacing.

"Finally! So refreshing.." Lobster sighed happily. "Hah..holy moons.."

"Yeah, quite great I bet.." Nighthawk dipped his talons in the water and splashed his friend a little with a grin. "I think I know where we could go."

"Where?" Lobster asked.

"The rainforest. They won't be able to find us there."

"But how will we get Mojave there?"

"We'll sort it out. I'll find some vines, cut em up, then we'll get going. Come on, we got work to do."

"Alright-" Lobster said before getting up. This was his last hope, if they didn't make it to the rainforest, they wouldn't make it home.