fourteen.

"I still can't believe you're giving that dick another chance." Adam March said between breaths, his feet hitting the treadmill at a steady jog. June was standing beside the treadmill, dressed in workout clothes but just leaning against the arm rests, zoned out and staring at a weight on the wall.

"It's not that I'm giving him another chance. I'm feeling things out." June said, picking at her nails as she continued to stare. Her second first date with JJ was tonight and at this point she wasn't even sure if she wanted to go. But she had accepted when he asked, and she couldn't back out so close to the date. She had plenty of worries and reservations about this 'date' the girl worried that in trying to get to know him better than she ever has, that she'll figure out something about herself. Maybe the mutual attraction and love they shared wasn't even real, and it was just a fabrication of the versions of each other that they thought were the real them but definitely weren't actually them at all. Ultimately their relationship had fallen apart because they things went extremely fast, there was little to no trust, and they turned toxic. She would have never put herself in this situation if it wasn't for Leon Hardy, a frown embedded in her lips as she realized she was only going in this date because she had the power to bring the group back together. And she had to...lives depended on it.

"Whatever. You can do what you want I don't care." Adam said it but June knew that wasn't true considering all the shit he went through trying to get her back. Her mind centered around Rafe at just about the same time his did, the boy clicking the buttons to slow the treadmill down and shrugging. "At least it's not Rafe."

June continued to state off into space as the treadmill stopped, the girl lifting the towel in her hand to her brother. He grabbed it, wiping his face and stepping off of the treadmill. Her not answering made him kind of suspicious, the March boy stepping in front of her eyeline and pulling her from her daze. He was looked at her with narrowed eyes, like he was trying to see the thoughts in her head and she scrunched her lips up in disgust and jumped at him.

"What?"

"Nothing. Just trying to see if you're hiding something from me." He said matter of factly, June shrugging her shoulders and letting out a sigh.

"Am I?" Adam walked past her and towards the workout bench, sitting on the edge of it and taking a sip of water. June had her arms crossed over her chest and a curious look on her face, Adam answering as soon as he swallowed.

"Absolutely. Now come spot me." He laid down and adjusted his hands on the bar of the weights, June rolling her eyes and making her way to the top of the bench. He pushed the weight off of the hooks, June leaning against the  bench press. He pushed up on the barbell and she looked down at him with that same dazed look, Adams teeth gritting as he saw the look she had on her face. "What the hell is going on in your head?"

"What do you mean?" June looked down at him with a quirked eyebrow as she now hovered her hands over the bar, Adam groaning as he pushed up again. He moved the bar back into the hooks and then sat up, looking back at his sister with an unimpressed look.

"You've been zoned out the entire workout. What's going on? Are you not sure about the date? Do I need to—"

"No you don't need to do anything. And no...I'm not sure about the date. I'm far from sure because I don't want to go but I have no choice because I said yes and I have to make things right between us. I just cant help but get this feeling that I'm gonna regret this. " June wanted nothing  more than to cancel,  she didn't want to go out with JJ in the slightest, and the whole situation was already taking a serious toll on her mind.