twenty-one.

June March sat in her car, her knee bouncing nervously as she waited for the arrival of her visitor. She was only nervous because of the fact that she didn't know when he was coming, the girl getting it in her head that Hardy was going to do something. Her head turned in every which direction as she waited for him to show up, her eyes hardly blinking. He had told her to meet in the parking lot at night, June assuming it was for some kind of check in. She had texted him like he had instructed her to, letting him know the entire group was on board , he had answered with a time and place. She was there now.

Her fingers were tapping against the steering wheel as she looked at the time on her phone, realizing he was late and feeling like an idiot for even having to be here. She had a thought, pulling her phon back up again and deciding now would be a good time to catch up on her texts. Rafe had texted her about 35 times in the past 4 days since she had last seen him, June feeling a bolt of guilt in her as she looked at the texts. She knew if he spiraled that she would have to blame herself, she was ghosting him...but she had been so ridiculously busy she had mostly forgotten about his texts. She scrolled through them, a groan leaving her lips at how increasingly worried he got with every one of them. His last text read—

I'm really worried but not trying to do what I did last time. Call me asap.

She could appreciate he was holding back, the girl trying to get over the fact he had tracked her location all together. She typed her reply just as someone approached the car, her heart jumping out of her chest as the door was pulled open.

"For this to be so serious you're pretty damn late." June said in an irritated voice, Hardy sitting in the passenger seat and giving her a shocked look at how openly she spoke to him. However when you have beaten someone within an inch of their life, you tend to lose the respect a little bit.  Every time June  looked at him she remembered having to pull him out of that fire, he didn't really scare her all that much.  It was mostly his potential of what he could do that made her uneasy. Him being dead meant he could really commit any crime he could think of, and if he was careful about it...they'd never even find out he was actually alive.

"So how'd it go?" Hardy asked, warming his hands by the heater as she looked down at her phone. She was still trying to answer Rafe, typing and retyping the same thing with different wording every single time. She didn't know how to get him to not worry and also leave her alone for the next few days.

"Uh...it went. I've gotta say it was difficult to make those amends you were talking about. Then I found out the best way to do all of it is to fake it until you make it." Hardy seemed impressed superficially, June closing her phone and looking up at him. He looked comfortable, this fact making her very uncomfortable. "So now what?"

"What do you mean?"

"You want me to find this key... where the hell am I supposed to look?" Hardy seemed to understand now, his lips tightening into a straight line as he nodded. Her arms crossed over her chest and she felt displeased about the fact that he was acting so strangely, wondering why nothing could ever just be normal and not weird. He had come here to check in with her, she needed the information. Now she was starting ti think maybe he didn't have any information.

"Isn't that part of your job?"

"Don't call it a job. Not like I'm getting paid for it." June snapped back quick, her lips pursing as Hardy leaned forwards a little bit.

"Your nose is looking real breakable right now with that attitude." June felt a phantom pain in her nose from the last time they had met, the girl leaning back and away from him as he pulled on a smile. "I'm just kidding. Not about the nose part but about the not knowing part. Now I don't know much, but I've got a name of a guy who used to work for Limbrey."