fifty-four.

June sat at the edge of the dance floor, the wind chilling her as she watched the couples dancing. JJ had been pulled away by Pope and John B, and Cleo was sitting beside her. June had her head rested on her shoulder and a hand locked securely around her waist, the dizziness that came with chugging alcohol making her need an anchor to the Earth. Cleo was effectively running her hand over the ends of Junes hair, both of them sitting in silence and enjoying the warmth of a friend.

"Is it weird?" The voice was Cleo's, her accent poking through the tone of her words and making June hum in confusion at what she was talking about. The hum in her throat sent a vibration through her body and reminded her she was heavily intoxicated, her eyes closing as she waited for her answer. "Is it weird being here now that you are a Pogue? Pope told me about last years party."

"No." June said without hesitation, her eyes still closed as the music played softly in the background of her thoughts. It didn't feel weird, because this was all she had ever known. Having one foot in both worlds didn't effect her here. "It's not weird. It's normal."

"Hm." Cleo hummed back, pondering her answer.  She considered speaking again but her lips just tightened into a line as the song changed. Junes ears perked up at the sound of the first chords of the song and she opened her eyes, a rush of joy flooding through her as she recognized it instantly.  "You like this song?"

"Yes it's...me and Zach dance to this song every year. Well not last year—but we—" The person she was speaking of approached quickly, his hand already extended to the girl who was sitting up.

"May I have this dance?"  He said in a silly little accent, June instantly grabbing his hand and taking off with him. Cleo watched as she disappeared into the sea of rich people, her hand safety tucked into his. He shot towards the middle of the floor, pulling her close so they could dance to the song. It had become a tradition a long time ago, the song was so cliche and bad that they slow danced to it every year...every year except last year.

"Oh god this song is so bad." June exclaimed over the music, her head shaking in some kind of disgust as Zachs fingers inched further around her waist. The crowd danced in a lively manner but they just swayed, joy in his eyes as he looked at her.

"I thought you'd forget." Zach said, June immediately shaking her head at his words. She would never forget, she simply hadn't been there the year before when it played. "You know...you didn't dance with me last year—"

"They didn't play it!" She said, her arm tightening around the back of his neck. His eyebrows raised and he nodded, his face scrunching up as he looked down at her.

"Yeah they did. I specifically remember. June I tried to ask you, but you were mad at me and I get that. You know I never really got the chance to apologize for—" June lifted her hand and cut him off with a shushing noise, pulling him closing and laying her head on his chest. She didn't want to hear his apologies, she had done enough to him that she figured he never needed to apologize again. She was tired of living in the past, she wanted everything to just be okay now.

"Can I cut in?" The voice was JJs, interrupting the two of them with a small smile. Zach watched as her entire face lit up, a cold feeling spreading through his body ad he gripped her hand. He looked at JJ and met his gaze, his stomach turning and then his hands detaching from the girl.

"Don't you always?" Zach said, masking the comment behind a friendly smile. JJ caught it but decided he didn't care enough to say anything, Zach leaving the two of them in the middle of the dance floor. June March wrapped her arms loosely around JJs neck, her cheek pressed against his shoulder as they swayed to the music. It had been a good hour since her and her brothers bathroom pregame, and June was definitely feeling it, JJ not commenting on it so far—although he was almost 80% sure she was wasted. His arms were wrapped around her waist and they were dancing amongst the sea of couples, JJ feeling slightly uncomfortable but still doing it because she was there.