forty-three.

"June...please I don't understand." The March girl had exited the home again and was racing to her car but JJ had to stop her, the girl turning around when she was standing by her car. She looked sad, and he still didn't understand, his heart aching at the sight of her hurt. His fingers moved to touch her as his heart melted for her and he actually managed to make contact, his fingers balling her dress by her hip.

"What was that?" His eyes were glazed over and he was watching her mouth as she spoke and June almost felt sick by how innocent and sorrowful he looked. His eyes glistened with something and she recognized it from somewhere else, she just couldn't quite put her finger on it. "Why were you in my house? Eating with my parents? I don't—I don't understand either. Are you like...one—one of them now or something?"

"No! No I came here for you. I came because I did something bad to your family and I needed to fix it. I'm trying to do right by you. I keep trying baby, I'm trying okay?" June felt like she had missed something big, he sounded strange, he looked delusional. Calling her baby confused her and she didn't know why he thought anything had changed in the day since she had blown him off for kissing her. She looked down and saw the way he was gripping her shirt, and then she looked back and she knew exactly where she had seen that look before. It was lovesick, it was desperate, it was passionate, it was delusional, it was a look she had seen in the eyes of Rafe Cameron and Zach Roberts. It was beyond love...it was devotion.

"JJ...me and you—we're not together. You don't have to fix things with my dad, because we are not together." Thunder rumbled overhead as if called by their raised voices and June felt the stir in her chest as she stepped back from him. He felt like the Earth was ripping them apart and he felt a drop of rain on his face, the rain bringing about desperation as he was prepared to plead for her.

"I know that. That why I came here though. I asked— I asked your father if I could ask you to Midsummers. I got his blessing." June seemed so confused, her face scrunching up as she tried to understand what he was even talking about. Going behind her back to her father? It didn't make sense. "I'm trying harder than I have ever tried before I really am and I'm not—I'm not going to fuck it up this time I just need you. I need you. And I need you to give me a chance. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have kissed you but I miss you, more than I've ever missed anyone or anything. I need you back."

"You just expect me to come back to you after everything? What's changed JJ? What have you done to be better? Nothing. Nothing." His face dropped and he looked stunned by her words, his hand pressing into his chest as he raised his voice.

"Nothing?! I've been trying since we broke up to do the right thing." She wanted to laugh, the frown on her lips making an appearance as he looked at her with his shocked expression. How could she be so blind?

"Have you?" She antagonized. He really didn't understand her, he didn't understand how everything was still not enough.

"I don't understand what you want from me. I did everything to fix this how is it still not enough?" He said in a pleading tone, June stunned by the tears that soon brimmed his eyes. She stepped back and felt alarmed, wondering why he was acting so strangely.

"What?"

"When we first broke up I stayed away from Kie because I knew it was the right thing to do because I choose you. I—I gave you the space you wanted. I gave you time! It's been 7 months. I accepted the Rafe stuff, I tried to be your friend like you wanted. I made up with your dad! I don't know what else to do!" When he summed it up like that it did sound like a lot, but for some reason it didn't sound like enough.  However she thought for a moment and realized she wasn't entirely sure what else he could do either.