sixty-two.

"I'm sorry...you want me to what?!" Adam March swung his golf club, hitting the ball out of sight and quickly turning to his sister. He thought what she was suggesting was stupid, and he thought she was stupid for even thinking it, his head shaking as he blinked in disbelief.

"I want you to get dad to sign-" Adam shook his head at her as she began to repeat what she had asked of him, his hand lifting to stop her from speaking.

"No I heard you...I just can't believe you'd first of all be so naive and second of all marry that—that—" June cut him off this time, the girl quick to stop whatever horrible words he was about to call JJ.

"Watch what you say about JJ, Adam...I'm serious." She had a tone that screamed a warning, Adam looking down at her with some expression of confusion in his eyes. He stared at her and once again wondered where she had thought this idea up, and then he considered that she hadn't thought it up at all. This has the stink of her troublesome boyfriend all over it, and it was no longer her asking him to do it...it was JJ Maybank. The only thing standing between them getting married was Adam, and he was going to keep it that way. He let out a sigh, looking towards where the ball had gone and then starting to walk away towards it.

"Do you know what the definition of insanity is, June?" He spoke as he walked away from her, the girl already wanting to scream at the fact that he was clearly going to resist.

"Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." She crossed her arms as she followed after him, the boy looking back at her and letting out a humorless laugh as he sat down on the golf cart. She hurried to sit down beside him, the boy refusing to look at her as he spoke.

"I used to think that quote was bullshit...I mean the real definition of insanity is lack of the ability to understand that prevents one from having the mental capacity required by law to do shit that's important. But you...you proved to me that that quote is true." She huffed at the conclusion of his point, her head turning towards the grass they were riding by, her mind stumbling over the ability to find something to say back.

"How'd I do that?" She asked in the context of what it was about her that made him believe it, the girl seeming to have fell directly into his trap as he smiled ahead of him and quickly launched into his explanation.

"Because you keep running with those people, keep giving them chances, and every time you do you end up hurt—or—or kidnapped or in a different country or—I mean broken beyond repair. And you run back every single time without fail." Hearing her brother say this was a blow, but in her mind she genuinely didn't seem to see it the way that he did.

"They're my friends. Of course I go back. I love them and they care—"

"Do they?! Do they care June?!" His foot hit the break and they stopped, the boy seeming beyond his limit of patience with her. She didn't say anything, the girl looking back at him with wide eyes as he decided to continue. "If they loved you...and I mean really loved you—do you think that you'd be in so much fucking trouble all the time?! Huh? Do you think you'd be so fucked up now that you have to go to therapy twice a week?! You weren't like this before them! You weren't like this before JJ and I don't know how you don't see that? You're blind! You must be! Because do you think that if they loved you, that would have to jump through so many hoops for them to  want to be around you?"

June looked back at him stunned, his words feeling like bullets on her skin because they rang true to her at some points. Her face dropped and she still retaliated, even though her defense was weak.