twenty-six.

"June I just want to say that you drive like scary fast. I was struggling to keep up." John B was the first to speak when he joined her at the trunk of her car, June shaking her head as she reached inside to grab their things. A shovel, flashlights...that was pretty much it.

"Maybe don't be such a grandma driver?" She suggested, pushing the flashlight into his chest and patting his cheek with her hand. His jaw clenched as he gripped the handle, June walking past him and reentering the group circle. "Alright guys this should be easy. We find the 1903 pillar, we dig behind it...we find the key."

"So is it just like a little key in all of the dirt or is it in a box or..." Kie asked, June looking at her with an unknown expression.  At was a fair question, Sarah and June sharing a look as they realized they had gotten the minimal amount of information that they possibly could about this thing.

"I don't know. I'd assume a box, but maybe someone should check the dirt we dig up just in case, yeah?" The March girl suggested, feeling strange for suggesting something so silly. Pope raised his hand, attention turning to him as he quickly started speaking.

"I volunteer JJ as dirt checker." The Heyward boy said, JJ looking at him with a scrunched up face. They shared a look and quickly launched into a game of rock paper scissors, Pope beating his scissors with rock and the two of them looking back at the group as JJ accepted his fate silently.

"I volunteer as lookout. Me, Sarah, and Cleo will hang back and keep an eye out." Kie said, the other two girls nodding. As much as they were on board with this plan...none of them really wanted to dig and stand around sifting through dirt, lookout was the most achievable option. The boys all nodded, excited over the fact they got to do the work. June narrows her eyes and looked between the three of them, her grip tightening on the shovel as it hung beside her.

"Actually warn us if someone's coming, yeah?" She said, remembering earlier that day when Cleo and Kie had abandoned them at Tom Mallory's house. Although it was a simple miscommunication, June would prefer it if they didn't ditch them this time.

"Alright." Cleo said, leaning against the side of Sarah's car. June sucked in a breath as she turned towards the boys, lifting the shovel slightly along with her other arm and giving them a look that said she was ready. They all shifted now, preparing to go.

"Let's go...here I'll carry the shovel." Pope said, reaching for the shovel that was hanging at her side. June let him take it, happy she didn't have to carry it as he held it in his hands. John B and JJ led the way, June smiling over at Pope.

"Such a gentleman." JJs head turned for a moment and then he looked back forwards, John B shooting a peculiar glance back at Pope. Pope gave him the slightest of nods, the four of them walking off towards the memorial site.  They were silent for only a few moments before Pope leaned over towards June, a curious look on his face as he spoke.

"So how was the ride over?" They had fallen back a little bit compared to JJ and John B, the two of them conversing about how the pattern of trees in the park reminded them of something from a video game. June looked over at Pope with a puzzling expression, wondering why he was asking.

"It was fine."

"What did you guys talk about?" Although she hadn't made the connection yet, this questioning from Pope was pertaining to the 'our girlfriend' aspect of the friendship. Pope and John B had decided not to give up  on the couple because they loved and cared for them both, and when they were together...everything was peaceful. They had discussed the repercussions of the locking them in the room together again on their own time, deciding it wasn't the best idea and so they came up with new plans, plans involving putting them together in cars alone and a few other  interesting ideas that they had yet to play out. They would get them together no matter what, because watching them suffer was awful. They had also decided they would do it at any cost, meaning they had some pretty risky ideas coming into play. The car ride was their test run, Pope was getting the intel on how it went.