fifty-five.

"Sorry I ruined the night." June sat on the edge of the dock, her toes touching the water as she looked out at the darkness. Her eyes were puffy and her face was flushed, she had clearly been crying. The person she was speaking to was JJ Maybank, his fingers gently touching hers between them, his eyes on nothing but her. She laughed a sad laugh, full of embarrassment and discomfort.

"The nights not ruined...I just think we're not meant to have a good time at that party." JJ said, drawing a scoff from her lips. He had a lopsided, gentle smile on his lips, and he wanted to make her feel better. Seeing her in the state she had been in scared him, truly terrified him. The wind blew past her and she shivered, JJs lips parting as she stared out at the water. He immediately began to pull his coat off, June not looking up at him until he pushed the fabric over her shoulders. He kept his arm over her shoulder, looking at her with such a compassionate look that she was appalled by the fact he had been able to muster it. "Can't have you freezing to death now can we?"

"I'd rather not." June gave into his embrace, leaning towards him and wrapping her arms around his waist. She leaned her head against him, her lips still turned down into a frown as she felt a calm settle through her body. He rubbed his hand up and down her back, comforting her as they stared out at the water. He had so much he wanted to say, to ask about...she had never really been open with him about her struggles, but he knew that she had them.

"What are you thinking about?" JJ asked, his mind spinning its own web of thoughts as he pondered what could be going on in hers. He hoped she was thinking of good things, he hoped she was torturing herself inside of her head. Just the thought of it sent a feeling of guilt through him. He hoped she wasn't hurting too bad.

June turned her head to look up at him, considering his question. The long answer was that she was contemplating the worst moments of her life, trying not to relive them in a hallucinogenic state and also trying to move over the fact that she had hardly ever considered the fact that her suffering effected other people like her brother. The short answer is what she went with.

"You...always you." She looked back out at the water and shifted closer to him, JJ feeling a rustle of butterflies in his stomach at her words. He knew she wasn't telling him everything, but pushing it wouldn't make her either. It reminded him of when he hadn't told her about his dad and she didn't push it. It all comes out in due time anyways. "So what now?"

"What do you mean?" The boy asked, running a hand over his light hair and furrowing his eyebrows. She sat up, looking over at him with a smile and then bumping his shoulder.

"We already left the party...what do we do now?" He opened his lips in revelation as he understood her now, June watching as he looked down the dock and then back to her. He bumped shoulder with her now, the girl giggling a little bit as he dropped his hand onto her between them.

"Well I don't know... what do you want to do? I mean—you're still pretty wasted and I won't lie...I had a couple of champagnes. The little glasses they had them in—the flutes or whatever...they were too fancy to resist I wanted to take a few but Pope told me I couldn't do that." June was laughing at his words, his rambling making her feel a bit better about the night. She thought of what they could do now that they had left the party but she didn't want to leave him, her mind coming up empty. "You wanna fuck?"

"JJ!" She said, laughingly pushing his shoulder. He shrugged, a smile on his lips as he proposed his option of what they could do. He shrugged and laughed it off although he was serious when he suggested it, the girl rolling her eyes at his forwardness. She considered for a moment and then shook her head again, deciding now wasn't the time for her. "Wanna go home? Everyone would still be at the party...we could do whatever."