08. What More Can I Give?

| Annalise Lauren |

| Annalise Lauren |

"What More Can I Give?"

Opening the door to the apartment, my mother was already standing in the hallway. After a long day of school and ice skating, all I wanted to do was to drop dead on my bed, and not have to wake up ever again. I didn't need my mother to speak to me, like she usually would avoid me. 

"Annalise" the way my name sounded in her mouth made me swallow down whatever anger had simmered in my stomach at my older brother. I hated that she took away all of my anger and made me this quiet girl all the time. 

It was like I was always walking around her on eggshells. I never spoke to her because I was unsure whether I was saying the right or wrong thing. I couldn't talk to her like every other daughter talked to their mother. I felt that everything I did was being watched under her microscope. Her mood swings changed so quickly the average person would believe she was bi-polar. 

"Why did I find this under your bed? Why is it all below an A?" my mother demanded, as she shook a perfect piece of paper that I had never seen in my life. "That's not mine" I murmured, trying to get a better look at the shaking piece of paper. 

"Yes you do because it has your name on it and it was in your room" I wanted to laugh. Just because something was found in my room, with my name on it, instantly made it mine, in my mother's eyes at least. 

"Well, I don't know what it is" I dropped my bag off of my shoulder and into my hand, as I took a step to go around my mother. "If this does not pick up, then I will be taking you off the ice skating team, and Lyla can replace you. She is so much better than you anyways" 

I felt the tears brimming at the back of my eyes. She had never stooped as low as saying that Layla, the girl that had always stolen my medals and achievements. My own mother had watched it happen, but yet she was still allowed to stand here and say what she just did.

"You didn't mean that. You know that I'm more deserving of it" I muttered under my breath. But, my mother had always told me, growing up, that she never lied; she was a truth teller. "It's the truth Annalise. If you don't do any better, than your done" 

I didn't have anything else left to give her. I had nothing more in my heart to give ice skating. "What more can I give you?!" I choked on the sobs as she turned her back on me. She always did this when she had nothing more to say to my face, while she spoke about me to my father. 

"What more do I have to do to prove myself to you!? I'm not Riley, mom. I'm not her" I sobbed, letting my bags drop from my hands as I wiped my eyes but the tears kept falling down. I knew I had hit her hard with bringing Riley up, but she had hit me too deep one too many times. I was done with the way she had been treating me my entire life. "I'm not Riley" 

"You do not get to say that name around me! You hear me?" she turned around, shoving her finger in my face, as her face burned red, before she stormed off down the hallway. "Riley Lauren is dead and I had nothing to do with it!" I shouted at her back, before I grabbed my bags, and I was out of the apartment.