14. Taking Punches

| Aiden Lauren |

| Aiden Lauren |

"Taking Punches" 

Seeing that the final count down had begun for the third period, I passed the puck to Angus, allowing him to seal the 7-0 win. He deserved it, as he had worked his asse off for this final game, like we all had. 

I held back one of the boys from the goal post, giving him as much space as he could need. Seeing his stick swing back in my peripheral, I watched as he hit the puck, as my eyes trained for it, knowing that it would hit the back of the net like it always did. That was how hard Angus hit the puck, and I always knew that it was him. He was one of kind. 

Racing towards where he had been standing, I was expecting him to be running to the glass, his back hitting it, as we all ran and hugged him. That was his celly. He celebrated with everyone in the crowd. He never let any of us miss out on the opportunity to be in on his winning goals, even if he was the one that had put in the most effort. 

My heart dropping in my chest, watching as the linesman were running towards him, his face flat on the ground, with blood pooling out of his eye, as his stick had been dropped. One of the boys from opposing side was still standing over him, with a smirk on his face. I should have known. This was one of the teams that Angus had played on, a few years back. 

I was too caught up in my life and my mother being hot on my asse, that I had completely forgotten about the severity of this team and what they could do to Angus. Back when he played on the team, it was nothing like this. They were his old teammates, even if growing up, we hated them with our guts, Angus had done quick work with making friends in that team. 

But once he left again, as he was never recognized for the skill and brilliancy he brought to the team, it angered them. Last year, when he wasn't captain, it was only a few punches and penalty minuets, but never this bad. Nothing had ever come of it, as it was just more of them being sore losers of losing someone like Angus with his talent. 

My face flamed with anger, as linesman flagged over the medic, while I dropped my sticks and gloves. I didn't care if this added to my penalty minuets or whatever the fuck. Angus was on the ground, passed out presumably, with blood pouring from his face. I couldn't just stand here and watch that happen, after everything he had done for Annalise over the past couple of days. 

Racing over, I grabbed the larger boy before he got the chance to celebrate what he had done with the rest of the team. I knew they were laughing and cheering for hitting him to the ground. This wasn't fair. Grabbing him from behind, I did my best to drag him off his feet and to the ice, like he had done with Angus. I had no clue if anyone was behind me or if this was going to work, but I had to do something. 

Pulling him down, he reached around and grabbed me, pushing me into the ice. My bucket fell off my head, causing the back of my head to hit the ice harder than I expected. Seeing black dots cloud my vision, I grabbed onto his jersey, spitting in his face. "Motherfucker" I seethed, before he was pulling me up.