28. New To Me

| Annalise Walton |

| Annalise Walton |

"New To Me"

Climbing out of the car, I couldn't help but let my jaw drop in awe at the sheer size of the house. It wasn't a secluded house that had acres of forest surrounding it or a huge front driveway. No, it was a smaller house that fit in with the neighborhood, with the white panel walls and the windows that had shutters and a grand porch that wrapped around the house.

I knew it was stupid, to be standing on the footpath, as my brothers cars lined the driveway and side of the street, to be staring at a house that I had known belonged to people that I went to school with, while I lived in the middle of nowhere. Our house had been perfect for parties, but I hated being home alone. I hated the trees that had once felt like they were reaching towards me through the windows. 

But now, the brightness of the house was enough to feel like I could breath freely. Grabbing a few bags from the car, I carried them up the front path and into the house, already feeling like this was home, just from the white walls that could be lined with pictures. Even the warmth that was emitting from the covered couches in the living room was enough to feel like I had always lived here. 

Dumping the bags, I turned on my heel, and went to walk back out onto the porch and down the stairs, but something stopped me. A sentiment near the garage door that was on my right when I walked in but was now on my left, put me in shock. I looked around me, knowing my brothers were busy organizing the room situation, but I didn't care, as I was more intrigued in this now. 

I walked over, reaching my hand out and gently touching the wall. I was shocked, to see all the names of my brothers on this one section of the wall, including my own. I traced my finger over the height that was written beside my name, before I saw that all my other brothers had had their names repeated, even Aiden's, but not my own. 

"I guess you found it" a soft chuckle was heard from behind me, and I jumped as I turned to face my eldest brother, which felt weird to say, as I backed away from the wall. "Oh, sorry" I murmured, as I went to walk past my brother, but he reached out for my hand, pulling me gently to him. He didn't stop when I flinched, he just made his actions slower. 

He slowly pulled me into his embrace, as I stood there, unsure of what to do when he wrapped his arms around my cold body. "It's okay. I wanted you to find it" he murmured, before pressing a light kiss to the side of my head, before he unwrapped me from his embrace, and I immediately felt guilty that I hadn't hugged him back. 

He had started to walk away when I jogged after him, coming to a stop in front of him, as I wrapped my arms around his middle, pushing my face into his stomach as I clenched my eyes shut, waiting for someone to slap me or yell at me for hugging Hayden. But the slap and the shouts didn't come, only the arms around my body wrapped around me once again. 

Hayden just continued to hold me there, not saying a word nor did he pull away from me. He just held me there, until I was ready to let go, and when I did, he gave me a soft smile. "I think the boys are waiting for you to make a decision on what room goes to who" he smiled down at me, before he let me fully go, as I continued to stand there.