16. The Hidden Truth

| Aiden Lauren |

| Aiden Lauren |

"The Hidden Truth" 

Waking up for what felt like the fifth time, I reached my hands up to my eyes, wiping them off the sleep and trying to look around at where I was. Looking at the white sheets clenched in my hands, to the white walls surrounding me, I realized I was in a place that I had dreaded for so long, now here it was, right in front of me. 

I had dreaded hospitals since the day that my siblings had died, or so I thought. I knew that they hadn't died, as they were still out there, running for their lives. A door opened, causing me to whip my head around from the place my eyes had been stuck on in the middle of the wall, to the door. Seeing a nurse, I internally groaned, as she smiled back at me.

She reminded me exactly of Ashely, whom I was sure would be blowing my phone up as much as she possibly could. She never came to the games that I wanted her to come to, which was very minimal. "How are ya?" she questioned, the smile only brightening as I frowned in response. Looking down at my leg, caused me to cringe. 

Wrapped in a compression bandage, I knew that there was stitches underneath it, causing me to grimace. "I know. First impressions of surgeries are not the best" the nurse continued to speak, but my stomach churned. This could be the end of everything for me, if I didn't make a big come back from this, whatever this surgery was for. 

I couldn't wrap my head around what had happened and why I had ended up here. The door to this room opened again, and someone that I wasn't expecting, walked in, looking exhausted, followed by two other people following behind him. Shock overtook me at the last person to walk in, as my features immediately changed from grimacing at my leg, to smiling at my little sister. 

But that smile almost faded from my face at the sight of her teary face and red cheeks. This was not good. "What happened?" I immediately asked, turning back to the two people that had entered before her, as I was trying to gesture for her to come closer, and maybe I could try and give her a hug, that I so badly needed from her, and hopefully that she would accept from me. She looked like she needed a hug badly. 

"Your parents" that was enough to make me cringe again. "Speaking of parents, Aiden, I need to speak to your parents about the procedures. We couldn't get ahold of them before the surgery, so we had to go through with it as we could not leave your knee like that" my whole body tensed up, at the thought of my parents. 

"Don't call them. They don't need to be here" I rushed out the words as fast as I could possibly make sense of them. This was the last place that I wanted my parents to be. "What is your last name" the nurse continued, pulling out a tablet, as I contemplated telling her my last name. I didn't want her to bring them here, after the argument I had heard when I had briefly woken up, and what had gone down at home with my mother yesterday. 

"Lauren. Aiden Lauren" the nurse started talking right after Alistair had given the response to her. I anticipated the call that she was about to make, waiting for my mothers voice to come through on the other end, shouting at me for what I had done. How I had let them down by not being safe on the ice for my career.