Chapter 8: Mouch and Ambo

Matthew Casey's POV
---
When we get to the station Mouch takes one look at us and turns around and looks at everyone else. Then he points to us and says, "They are sleeping together."
Everyone turns and looks at me and Gabby, so I say, "Yeah, and what does it matter? It won't affect how we work."
Gabby nods and walks over to the table and everyone turns and stares at her...

Gabriela Dawson's POV
---
As I sit down everyone turns and looks at me and then Otis asks, "Are you not cooking breakfast? You usually cook breakfast."
I shake my head and reply, "Nope, I've already ate. Casey actually cooked breakfast, that was a first for me."
At that everyone cracks up and Mills heads to the kitchen. He's just about to start cooking when we get a call, "Truck 81, Ambulance 61, Squad 3, and Battalion 25 structure fire at 90653 Cumberland Rd."
We hit the truck and head out. I stare out the window in pain. I hadn't said anything to Casey about it and I was planning on talking to Chief Bowdan about it when I got in, but we got a call all most as soon as Casey and I got in.
We pull up to the scene and I look up at the five story we have to clear.
"Ok. Herman and Otis you guys with me. Dawson And Cruz with Severide." Casey says.
I nod and start putting my mask on. I walk over to Severide and we head into the burning building.
After searching the building both teams in total find three kids and five adults.
We arrive back at the station and I'm the first one out of my turn-out gear. I quickly make my way to the bathroom and take my jacket off. I slowly lift my shirt up and see the wide burn scar running diagonally across my shoulder blades.
I pull my shirt back down and pick my jacket up. I walk to my locker where I hang my jacket up. I walk out and ask Mouch, "Hey Mouch, have you seen Bowdan?"
He shakes his head and says, "No, why what's up?"
I just shake my head and head to Bowdan's office. When I see he's not there I head for Casey's office. He is sitting in his office doing paperwork with the door open.
I knock and he waves me in. I pull the door closed behind me and I say, "Lieutenant, can I talk to you?" He frowns and nods.
I say, "Listen, Casey, my back is still messed up. I can't go inside buildings, I don't want to endanger anyone. I was fine this morning before we got here, but then I was leaning against the lockers talking to Shay and my back started hurting again. I was going to talk to Chief Bowdan but I haven't had time and he wasn't in his office when I checked."
He nods and says, "Thanks for coming to me. I think Bowdan was talking with Severide when we got back so you might check back."
I nod and I open my mouth to say thank you when Casey stands up, walks over to me, and kisses me. I let him and pull him in closer, but then Otis knocks on the door. I let out an annoyed sigh and pull away from Casey saying, "I better go talk to Bowdan."
As I walk past Otis I say, "Thanks a lot, Otis."
He gives me a look and I walk off to Bowdan's office. I see him sitting inside his office and he looks up then waves me in. I walk in and sit down.
"Chief, you know how my back was burned in that fire when it flashed. My back hasn't completely recovered yet. I can do my job, but I don't want to go in on a search and rescue team in burning buildings until I'm ready. I can stay back and help Shay and Mills with the ambulance, it's always good to have an extra set of hands." I say.
He nods and says, "First, you need to go to a union clinic and get yourself checked out tell me what they say and work on the ambulance until I get an all clear from them."
I nod and say, "Thanks."
He just nods and I turn around and leave.
I walk back to Casey's office, and I see Otis shutting the door. I nod my head knock and walk in. Casey walks over and shuts the blinds as I lock the door. When I turn around Casey pulls me in and kisses me. I pull him closer and push him over to his bed. Thirty minutes later we are both laying in his bed, and our clothes are lying on the ground in a pile by the bed.
I sit up and say, "We need to get dressed, I'm temporarily on ambo, so I could get a call any minute."
Casey nods and sits up I hand him his boxers as I pull my clothes on. I start to pull my shirt on when it hits the center of the scar which is still sensitive. My body goes rigid and I feel Casey tense as he watches me. Then I feel him take my shirt and slip it on past my scar. I turn around and give him a weak smile. We stand up and he kisses my forehead. Then just like I had predicted ambulance 61 is paged for chest pains...