Chapter 11: Beyond the Call of Duty

When we get to the scene the building is engulfed. I start to help Mills and Shay unload everything to set up a triage.
Then the Chief says, "Dawson, gear up your going in. There are too many floors to cover and it will be about five minutes for an assisting truck and squad to get here."
I nod and grab my turn out gear from the truck. As I am putting my air pack on I hear a rumble and then it stops. Then I hear over the radio from Casey, "Chief, we are trapped in a middle room on the fifth floor. We can't get out."
"An assisting squad truck is on their way, Casey. Hang on." The Chief says.
I pull on my mask and head towards the building. I hear Mills yell something, but I keep going anyways.
I hit the stairs running and quickly make it to the fifth floor. I call out, "Casey, Cruez, Herman, where are you?"
I hear banging and jog over to a pile of ruble covering a door. I hit the door and hear Cruz say, "We're in here."
I immediately start moving the ruble trying to get it so that I can get to the door.
A few minutes later Squad three and half of another squad company comes up.
"Hey, they're over here. The ruble is blocking the door." I call out and they rush over and start helping move the ruble. We finish quickly and get them out. I see another set of stairs leading up and I turn to Casey and say, "There's one more floor. I'll go up and check it out. You three go down and get checked out in the triage."
I head for the stairs as I hear him say something to Severide.
I reach the floor and see that there's only a few rooms up here and I immediately start checking them.
I reach the third and last room where I hear someone crying. I look around and see a women and baby on the floor across the room. Severide looks in and we work our way across the room to them.
I take the baby and Severide picks up the woman. We make it to the triage and the woman wakes up asking for her baby and son. I look at Severide and realize a firefighters worst nightmare, we missed one. I turn around and go back in to the building. I make it to the sixth floor when the floor falls through and me with it.
I gasp as I start to fall. When I hit the floor I black out...

Severide's POV
---
I start to follow Dawson in when a little boy walks up and says, "I can't find my mommy and baby sister. They were on the top floor. My mommy sent me down here before the alarm went off to get the mail."
I take the boy over to his mom then try to radio Dawson, but I can't get ahold of her. That's when we a here a rumble on the sixth floor, and the building shakes and literally drops two stories. I drop my helmet and stare at the building. I turn around and see Casey fall to his knees staring up at the building. I turn around, grab my helmet, and pull my air mask on then go back in to the building.
The first, second, and third floors haven't been affected, but when I reach the fourth floor there is ruble and plaster everywhere. I listen closely and here Dawson's S.C.B.A. (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus) going off. I make my way towards the sound when I see her. She is lying on the ground, unconscious, with a wooden beam on top of her. I make my way over to her where I pick the beam up off of her, and put it to the side. I pick Dawson up, and carry her back down.
When I get down I meet Shay at the doorway. She guides me to one of the cots in the small triage. I set her down, and the EMTs take over.
I walk over to where Casey is watching his crew put the remainder of the fire out.
"I got her out, and she was still alive when I did." I tell him...

Author's Note:
Will Dawson make it? And what will be said of her actions at the scene? Is what she did giving Casey punishment, trying to prove herself to Casey, or is it going beyond the call of duty?
Find out in the next chapter
'Courage, Honor, and... Love.'