Chapter 59: Gossip

Gabby's POV
---

"...but maybe we should try to do it again..." I look over at him.
"I... I don't know if I'm ready or not, Matt. I mean really. I don't know if I could do that." I say biting my lower lip.
"I know it's scary. When I asked you to marry me it scared the hell out of me at the idea of having you as my wife. When you said no the first time I just about pissed my pants at the reality that you weren't ready for that, that I might be moving faster than you. When I asked you to marry me the second time and you said yes I was scared out of my mind that something might happen that would pull the floor out from under me. When Hally shot you, I just about died with you. When you were alive, I was scared that something worse was coming. When lines were drawn and words were said between Squad and Truck a year ago, I regretted every word that came out of my mouth the second I had said them. When I told you to go ahead and break my heart again at home I knew I was hurting you, and I knew I'd be my own undoing. Then, when you gave me that ring back I was scared of losing you again. I'm scared of what the future will bring just like you, but I want to face it with you." Casey says looking in to my eyes.
"I don't know if this is the right time. I just broke up with a man I had been dating for six months three hours ago, but I know that this is something that is supposed to happen in our lives. I think this needs to be done right." I say.
"You're right. It does deserve to be done right. Which is why we should focus on just enjoying this. The past is set in stone, the future is a mystery, but the present is where we are. So let's go ride the Ferris wheel." Casey says as a smirk grows across his face.
I smile as he pulls me towards the Ferris Wheel. The line is fairly short, so we only have to wait a few minutes to get on. We get in one of the buckets, and I wrap my arms around Matt's waist as we start to move. We stop at the top, and have a perfect view of the Chicago city skyline.
"You know, when it's not on fire Chicago is beautiful." I say with amusement.
"Preach. Man, remember the one one call where we had the man stuck in the slide at the kids playground." Matt says as he starts laughing.
I start laughing and say, "Oh man, that was the funniest call we've had all year. I can't believe we actually had to use butter to get him out."
"I know. That was hilarious... hey why aren't we moving yet? It's been like ten minutes." Matt says.
I look down and see the worker frantically working with the control box.
"Dammit, that worker doesn't know what he's doing. The control panel is sparking... shit. It just caught fire. We are repelling down." I say pulling out my repelling rope that I had forgotten to take out of the inside of my jacket pocket.
"Why the hell do you have repelling rope and gear in your jacket?" Matt asks as I put my harness on.
"I was training today before I went home. I didn't take my gear out. Come on." I say as I hook my ropes up.
I unhook the bar in front of us as the workers down below frantically try to get the fire under control. I wrap my arm around Casey's waist and we start repelling down. I hear screams and amazed sounds coming from the gathering crowd below. Most of the screams coming from the people still trapped on the Ferris Wheel.
We reach the ground and I say, "Casey, start working on the fire. Get the workers to call 911 I'm going to see about getting some of the people off the ferris wheel."
He nods and pulls out his badge hurrying over to the workers trying to put the fire out. I use slowly make my way up to the lower carts and start taking people down as I hear sirens coming in the distance. I grab a couple from one cart, and take them down as Squad 3 2nd watch pulls up with Squad, and Chief Boden pulls up because he's working a double shift. We reach the ground just as EMT's pull up and Boden brings over a set of bunker gear.
"Couldn't stay away could you, Dawson?" Boden asks as I kick my boots off and pull on my gear. I leave the coat off and put my harness back on. I pull my helmet on, and say, "Nah, Casey and I were up at the top. Figured what the hell." I say.
Boden laughs and says, "Sounds like Herman, Shay, and I won the bet. Well, get going. Radio's on channel 2."
I nod and turn my radio on. I start working up to the top as Squad starts with the lower buckets...