Chapter 26: Man Down!

I sit up and look down at Dawson. I get up and walk to my bathroom. I get in the shower as I hear Gabby say, "I'm going to shower at work, Matt."
I hear the door open and I stick my head out the curtain. I give her a kiss and she walks out the door. I finish and get out. I wrap a towel around my waist and walk to my closet. I pull out my uniform and get dressed. I grab my bag and walk out to my truck.
When I get to the station I get out and head to the commons.
"Where's Gabby? Please, tell me she is here I had sixty bucks that she'd be here." Cruz says.
I shake my head and say, "House 89. I hope she doesn't have to deal with the same lieutenant though. Yesterday they had another emergency call. He pulled the woman firefighter card."
"Brewer did? He seemed like a good guy." Mouch says.
"No the relieve lieutenant, a Luis Macintosh. A real asshole from what Gabby said." I tell the guys.
Then Herman asks, "Wait a minute, wait a minute. The guy who first poured water down Gabby's neck then when she turned around splashed her in the face with it? That Macintosh?"
I nod as we get a call for a structure fire.
We get in the truck and Herman says, "That guy needs his ass whooped by a women to knock some sense into him."
I nod and then my phone goes off. I look at it to see Gabby text me, "Lieutenant Smith."
I smile as we pull up to the scene.
"Ok, Herman, with me let's go." I say as we mask up.
We make our way inside and start searching.
"Hey Lieutenant, do you hear that?" Herman says, and I'm about to shake my head when a beam comes falling down from the ceiling. It lands on my chest, and the last thing I hear is Herman yelling over the radio, "MAN DOWN! MAN DOWN! Chief..."

---
Christopher Herman's POV
---

"MAN DOWN! MAN DOWN! Chief a beam just came down on Casey. Send someone in." I shout into my radio. I lift the beam up just the slightest bit as Severide runs over to me.
"1...2...3. Lift!" He says and we lift the beam off of Casey's chest.
We pick him up and carry him out to Shay and Mills. We set him down on the back board they have waiting and they open his gear up. Shay lifts his shirt up and they put the monitor on him. We lift him on to the stretcher and they load him up.
"I'll call Dawson." Severide says.
I run over to the truck and get in.

---
Gabriela Dawson's POV
---

I'm sitting on the couch as my phone rings. I look down to see its Severide. I answer the phone and he says, "Dawson, listen. We are taking Matt to Chicago Med. A beam fell on his chest and he passed out we are on our way now."
"I'm on my way." I say and hang up before he can protest.
"Lieutenant, can we take a ride to Chicago Med? Casey was injured in a structure fire and I want to go by and check on him. Severide didn't say how bad it was." I ask Lieutenant Smith.
He nods and says, "Everyone, load up."
When we get to the hospital Shay and Mills pull up just before us. When Shay opens the back doors I see Mills in back coding Casey.
"Oh God." I say as I jump out of the truck. They role him in and Severide steps in front of me.
"Severide, I swear if you do not move I will drop your ass right now." I say.
Severide lets me go by with a grimace and I run over to where Shay is standing.
"Leslie Shay, do not lie to me. What's going on?" I say as I hear them call for someone to assist on CPR.
I push past Shay and the others and say, "I can assist, I can code."
The doctor nods as I start coding. "Dammit, Casey. Come on! Come on!" I say.
Five minutes later we're still coding and the doctor says, "I'm calling it. Any objections?"
I growl out, "I object. Keep coding."
"Time of death, 10:40 a.m. That's it. Mam stop coding this patients gone. We did everything we could." The doctor says.
"He's my fiancé. He can't die not now. I just saw him this morning." I say as I feel a pair of arms wrap around me and pull me back.
"Dawson, stop. Please stop, he's gone." Herman says as he pulls me backward.
He lets go of me and I fall to my knees crying. Shay comes over to me and wraps her arms around me. I lean against her and say, "This wasn't supposed to happen, Shay. This wasn't supposed to happen."
I look up and see Antonio walk in. When he sees me he jogs over and hugs me.
"He didn't make it, Antonio." I say, "Take me back to the station. Chief Jones I'm going to take some time off."
I say as we walk by.
We get out to his car and get in. "Gabby I'm sor-" Antonio starts, but I interrupt him and say, "I really don't want to talk about it, Antonio. Just drop me off at 89's and leave. Ok? Ok."
We drive the rest of the way in silence. When we get to the house I get out and head to the lockers. I change out of my uniform. I look at my phone then walk to the turnout gear room. I walk over to my bunker gear and slip my phone into the pants pocket.
I walk out to my car and drive to a log cabin Antonio and I had bought, so we could get away from the world. I pull my car around behind it and look around as I get out. No city even close.
I walk to the door and pull out my key. I open it and walk in. I shut the door and lock it back then set my bag down. I walk over to the couch and sit down...