Chapter 58: Again

Gabriela Dawson's POV
---
Next day after shift at Mills place
---

"It's not like I can just ignore the fact that the candidate is flirting with her lieutenant, Peter. I mean really." I say throwing my hands up in annoyance about the fact that we were arguing about me watching Casey almost all shift as his new candidates flirted with half of the Truck crew.
"You should be ignoring it, Gabby. I mean especially since you ignored ME half the time yesterday." Peter says.
"I'm sorry I ignored you, but have you not been paying attention to that girl. She was basically hanging on her lieutenant." I say.
"YOU did that while you were on truck. How's it any different?" Mills asks.
"I WAS DATING HIM AND ENGAGED TO HIM WHEN I WAS ON TRUCK, PETER! THATS THE DIFFERENCE!" I yell.
"WHAT ARE YOU JEALOUS OF HER?! DO YOU NOT WANT TO BE WITH ME ANYMORE AFTER ALMOST SIX MONTHS OF DATING?!" Peter yells back.
"NO, I DON'T WANT TO BREAK IT OFF WITH YOU, BUT IF YOU ARE GOING TO GET UPSET AND JEALOUS ABOUT THE SMALLEST THINGS MAYBE WE SHOULD TAKE A BRAKE!" I yell back.
"Wait, what?" Peter asks all the anger leaving his face and voice.
"I... yeah... I think we might need a brake. I mean this is the third fight we've had this week, and every time it's over small things..." I say looking away.
"Should we?" He asks.
"Yeah... I think we should. I... I guess I'll see you at work, Peter." I say kissing him on the cheek and grabbing my bag that I had still not unpacked. I walk out the door and down to my car. I toss my bag in the back and drive to Molly's.
I turn my car off and sit in it. I slam my hands against the steering wheel and get out. I lock it and go inside. When I get inside the bar is half empty. Casey, Otis, and the new candidate are sitting at the bar talking. There are a couple people I don't know at one of the tables, and Herman is leaning against the bar looking around.
I walk over to where he's leaning and say, "I need something strong."
"How strong?" Herman asks pursing his lips.
"Bad break up strong." I say.
"You should have had that a year ago." Herman says.
"It's not to forget that break up, Herman. I literally just broke up with my boyfriend ten minutes ago." I say looking up at him.
"Okay, I need to know more before I can get you something strong enough." He says.
"Broke up with a paramedic, we had a fight and we broke up. That enough?" I ask annoyed.
"Yeah, kid, that's enough." Herman says as he pours me a glass of whiskey.
I take a sip of it as he says, "This isn't gonna affect how you and he work together is it?"
"No, Herman. It won't." I say.
He nods and walks off.
I take another drink of the cold whiskey, and turn around.
"Come on, Dawson. Shay wants you to perk up." Severide says taking the whiskey from me and setting it down. He drags me over to where Shay is waiting by the dance area. She hits a button on the stereo and it starts playing Christina Aguilera's "I Hate Boys"...

---
Matthew Casey's POV
---

I hear the stereo start playing and turn around to see Shay and Dawson dancing to a song about hating boys. Then, I spot the glass of whiskey setting on the bar where Dawson had just been sitting. Apparently she and Mills were having problems.
I excuse myself from Reynolds and Otis and walk over to the stereo as the song stops playing. I press a button and "My Best Friend" by Tim McGraw starts.
Before Gabby can walk off the dance floor I grab her around the waist and say, "Dance with me. For old times sake."
The song playing used to be our song which is why I'm not surprised when she starts slow dancing with me. She leans her head on my shoulder, and I wrap one hand around her waist and take her hand in my other. We spin around the dance floor until the song ends.
After it stops she pulls away with a small smile on her face as she walks over to her glass of whiskey at the bar. I walk over to her, and sit down next to her.
"So what's wrong?" I ask.
"Nothing. Why do you ask?" She says then takes a sip of her whiskey.
"Well first off, you don't drink whiskey unless you're upset, and second, you and Shay were listening to a song called I Hate Boys." I say.
"Mills and I broke up. He was jealous, and we decided we needed to take a brake. We've had three fights at least this week." She tells me.
"Who was he jealous of?" I ask tilting my head.
"Don't worry about it, Matt. Hey, I'll see you on shift. Bye, Matt." Gabby says and walks out of the bar.
Ironically "Cold As Stone" starts playing on the stereo as she walks out.
"Here's your twenty bucks, Herman." Severide says handing Herman a twenty.
"So you lost a bet." I say.
"Yep Severide had twenty that Gabby wouldn't talk to you at all besides on shift calling you Lieutenant or Lieutenant Casey. I figured she'd end up talking to you at some point. Didn't have to wait too long we made the bet a week ago." Herman tells me.
"Figures. I'm going to go home. I'll see you guys on shift." I say.
They both nod, and I walk out. I walk over to my truck to find a piece of paper tucked under the windshield wiper.
'Ugh, how the hell did I get a parking ticket in a parking space?'
I pull the ticket out and look at. Instead of a ticket I find a note.

Note:
Matt,
Meet me at the Navy Pier.

I look for a clue to who might have left the note, but there is none. I put the note in my pocket and pull off headed for the Navy Pier.
When I reach the pier I park my truck, and get out. I lock my truck, and walk to the Navy Pier Park sign and see a figure standing under the sign in her Squad 3 jacket. I walk up the steps and tap her on the shoulder. She jumps and then turns around to face me.
"You came." She says.
"Of course I did. What did you want to talk about?" I ask looking down at her.
"Walk with me and I'll tell you." She says.
"Okay. Let's walk then." I say.
She pulls her hands out of her pocket and as we walk she takes my right hand in her hands.
"I have to admit. I've missed this." She says.
"I've missed you in general." I say.
She smiles and then says, "Well, I wanted to talk to you about us. Matt, I don't know where I'd be if it weren't for you... I'm not going to lie and tell you I don't have feelings for you. I just don't know if I can do that again or not."
I purse my lips and say, "I still love you, Gabby. I screwed up last time. We both made mistakes, but maybe we should try to do it again..."