Opening

Chapter One!

Opening

5th of March 2020 - The Los Angeles Ministry

The Los Angeles Ministry was in mourning, the first Papa Emeritus was no longer part of this world. He had passed away at the end of his saxophone solo onstage in Mexico, he had died the way he would have wanted if he had arranged his own death himself. The Clergy had declared two weeks of mourning, they wanted to pay their respects and hold candle light vigils until Papa Nihil's body had been laid in state. It was an old Emeritus tradition that their bodies remained on display, they would be showcased on future tours for the public to witness their glorious past reign. 

The family lounge at the Ministry was dimly lit, the fireplace was keeping the darkness at bay. Candles were burning brightly in their holders, the scent of incense sticks drifted through the open doorway. The chimes of the wall clock could be heard, it was just after 9pm. Albany was curled up on her Father's favourite armchair, her gaze remained on the flames dancing amongst the firewood of the fireplace. She had been sitting in the lounge since she had been informed about her Father's death, it was the only place where she could be alone. 

Sister had visited her more than once with hot beverages throughout the night, the sandwich she had bought for her this morning remained untouched on the coffee table. She was still dressed in her t-shirt and shorts from yesterday, but her feet were now bare. Her thoughts were disturbed by two familiar voices in the hallway outside of the lounge, it was Sister and Copia. Her lover had finally returned from his tour, but her Father's body was still being transported back from Mexico. Albany could hear their discussion from where she was located, her lover seemed concerned for her wellbeing.

" Do you think Albany will want to see me?"

" Of course, she's patiently been waiting for your return."

" And is she okay?"

" I think you need to find that out for yourself."

" I will do that, thank you Sister."

" In that case I will leave you to it."

Albany listened to them speaking in the hallway, their conversation was short and filled with sympathy. The armchair creaked  beneath her when she moved, she sat up straight and ran her hands over her face. She wiped away any remaining tears that had stained her cheeks, she could still feel sand between her toes from her coastal walk. The sounds of a walking cane against the wooden floorboards was soon heard, it was followed by footsteps. Albany waited patiently for her lover, she needed to speak with him about her Father's death. He had been onstage not long after he had collapsed, she was hoping he could shed some light on the events of that night. 

Copia soon appeared by her side, he was dressed in his white tuxedo and his black rimmed hat. His features were sullen, but he also looked exhausted from his journey. Their gaze met while he moved towards the front of the armchair, he removed his hat. Kneeling before her Copia hung his hat on the arm of the chair, he placed his walking cane on the floor next to him. His gaze was upon her, he took one of his lover's hand in own before he softly kissed it. Albany tried to smile at him, but her grief prevented it. She was happy to see that her lover had returned home safely. His voice broke the silence between them, his words were filled with sorrow.

" Albany..." He said.

" Welcome home, Copia." She said.

" I'm sorry about your Papa, he was a good man." He said