Spectral Revelation

"Let's think," said Ron in mock puzzlement. "Who do we know who thinks Muggle-borns are scum?"

He looked at Hermione. Hermione looked back, unconvinced.

"If you're talking about Malfoy —"

"Of course I am!" said Ron. "You heard him — 'You'll be next, Mudbloods!' — come on, you've only got to look at his foul rat face to know it's him —"

"Malfoy, the Heir of Slytherin?" said Hermione skeptically.

"Look at his family," said Harry, closing his books, too. "The whole lot of them have been in Slytherin; he's always boasting about it. They could easily be Slytherin's descendants. His father's definitely evil enough."
(Chamber of Secrets - Chapter 9)

After Ron shrugged off the rest of his homework by going to bed, Harry and Hermione continued on their Charms assignment helping each other.

When they were both finished forty-five minutes later, Hermione decided to bring up the idea of Malfoy being Slytherin's heir again.

"Harry, do you really think Malfoy is Slytherin's heir?" she asked quizzically.

"Yeah," Harry said defensively.

"Harry," she said, shaking her head. "You've known that idiot for a year. He boasts of anything that comes to his mind. If he is indeed the heir, he would've boasted it to the entire school by now."

"Unless his father told him not to," said Harry bitterly.

Hermione snorted. "Believe me Harry. If his father told him not to say it, it would be the only thing he would have disobeyed. And I'm quite sure there's simpler ways than using Polyjuice to find out."

She give him a knowing look. Harry squirmed, knowing exactly what was on her mind.

"I'm not sneaking in there with my cloak," Harry said. "They'd catch me instantly."

"I said simpler ways," Hermione said. "We were also going to ask Myrtle before she floated off. If we ask the Hogwarts ghosts we might get information."

Harry was astounded beyond words. He had not thought about asking the ghosts of Hogwarts. But which ones would know.

He paled. "I'm not asking the Bloody Baron," he said, in a tone that made it clear his decision was final.

"Yes, you are," Hermione said. "And I'm quite sure the Baron might like you. I've seen the way you do your homework Harry. You are very much sneaky and manipulative. What would you call walking around in that cloak, cunning?"

She smiled at him and went to bed, leaving Harry completely dumbfounded. His curiosity piqued however, and he took out the potions essay that was due the next day. His eyes bugged out when he saw how he did his homework.

Then again, the hat did suggest I'd do great in Slytherin, Harry thought.

IlIlIlIlI

After his conversation with Nearly Headless Nick, Harry made his way to the Astronomy Tower where the Baron loved to hang out.

Nick was very forthcoming about details. He knew a small bit about the Chamber, but not much. He told Harry that the Baron was a student of Salazar Slytherin himself, and that he would have known the man personally.

Cautiously, Harry ascended the steps to the Astronomy Tower. He already knew from the groaning and clanking noises that he was there. Apparently it was a favourite pastime of his.

Once he reached the top he noticed him. With blank staring eyes, a gaunt face, and robes stained with silver blood, was the Bloody Baron.

"Excuse me, Sir Baron," said Harry meekly. He was hoping the Baron wasn't in too bad of a mood. The Baron was known for having a hot temper.