Times Bitch

"I really wish you'd stop following me around and realise that I'll never forgive you, Severus." Lily's face was suffused with fury and as red as her hair.

"You're pathetic. You say one thing and then you go tromping around with the likes of Avery and Mulciber like it's okay to call people Mudbloods so long as I'm not one of them? Why does it even matter, huh? What makes the others any different from me? I don't want to be around you anymore— and I don't want you to think I'll just wake up one day and forgive you because I won't. Not ever."

"Lily—"

"Leave me alone, Sev," Lily hissed.

"But—"

"Lily, NO!" James and Sirius were running towards her at top speed.

"I wish you had never even cared about me!"

Severus awoke in the early morning and snuck out the back door quite easily. His father's drunken snores always gave him the advantage, at least this early in the morning.

He couldn't wait to get to the willow tree.

She would be there.

She was brilliant and bossy and kind all wrapped up together and—

"Severus!" he heard her cry.

He beamed, the smile reaching from his toes to his eyes and practically arching right over his head.

They ran off together, their forms shimmering as they collided in a flurry of fur and paws and claws and teeth, tumbling and rolling in the grass, sending seed pods and fluffy seeds flying in all directions.

It had always been this way ever since the very first day they'd met.

The moment they touched, the heat of magic had consumed them completely and they ended up on all fours with fur and spots, and clouds of strangely scented breath that seemed to depend on their mood.

Hers always seemed to smell of sugar plums whenever she was happy. She said he smelled like spearmint toothpaste. He wasn't sure if that was a good thing or bad, but at least she didn't think he stank!

They flomped down to lay in the cool summer grass, panting, playing with each other's paws, then dashed through the high grass sending grasshoppers and birds flying in all directions. They chased, stalked, pounced, and frolicked together— even hunted together.

He had to admit, the first rabbit they ever ate together filled his stomach better than anything he'd ever gotten at home.

They snuffled and watched a hedgehog scurrying about, but they knew better than to bat at it. Hedgehogs hurt!

POUNCE!

Hermione snapped up a fat squirrel that had obviously had one too many feeders in its stomach. The squirrel died instantly, her jaws lethal as always. She'd managed to figure out the right bite almost immediately. He, on the other hand, was the one who often warned her of prey being close by.

Together, they could take on almost anything!

Well, maybe a deer.

As long as they worked together.

The squirrel was more like a snack, but she shared it with him as always. She never failed to share. He never failed to be grateful and groomed the random bits and squirrel blood off her muzzle in appreciation. It was the least he could do.

Sometimes they would watch the neighbours. Two obnoxious girls with annoying voices that made their ears flatten back against their heads.

Too noisy.