Chapter Four: Inspiring Professor

“Professor Kim?” Jennie asks curiously. “Why do you jog at night?”

“I enjoy the fresh air,” Jisoo answers. She exhales quietly and looks up at the sky. “Sometimes I stop and sit to look at the stars.”

“Can you see Cassiopeia?” Jennie asks as she looks up as well.

Jisoo tilts her head to look at the girl. “Do you like space?”

“I used to take astronomy classes, but I dropped them,” Jennie answers with a faint smile. “Space is nice and I bet there’s more life out there than we know.”

“Life is all around us,” Jisoo says with a soft sigh.

“That sounds kind of corny,” Jennie replies, chuckling lightly.

It almost feels as if she’s hanging with a friend, but the older woman is her professor, who she shouldn’t insult. Not that she meant it as an insult.

“Kind of like, love is all around us,” Jennie clarifies.

Jisoo contains her instinct to scoff and purses her lips. She’s tempted to say that love is weakness, though she doesn’t want to receive any nosy questions.

“It is late,” Jisoo says, starting to feel a bit too cold. At first she’d been warm enough from running, but they’ve been sitting here for a while.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to keep you here,” Jennie says, eyes wide as she gets up. She knows Professor Kim wants to walk her back to make sure she’s safe, which is sweet. “This night didn’t go the way I thought it would,” she says, sighing. “Not that you’re not good company or anything. Ugh, I’m sorry… yikes. Don’t flunk me?”

“That would be unreasonable, Miss Jennie,” Jisoo assures the girl.

“You could just call me Jennie,” Jennie suggests, finding the formality strange. “Or not,” she adds quickly when the Professor remains stoic.

Jisoo hand shoots out to steady the girl when she trips. She can tell that she’s all jittery and unfocused.

“How did you expect your night to go?” Jisoo asks, sensing the girl has some things on her mind.

“Well, for starters I thought my boyfriend would be at the party,” Jennie answers, sighing. “The party that totally didn’t have alcohol,” she says quickly.

Great, what the fuck? That’s not suspicious at all.

“My best friend is so mean when it comes to my boyfriend and I don’t get it. He has been nothing but sweet and still she acts as if he’s some sort of devil.”

“You care for your friend’s opinion,” Jisoo says as she walks Jennie back.

“Kind of, I guess,” Jennie replies, shrugging. “I mean, I would really like it if my best friend and my boyfriend would get along. They’re two people who mean a lot to me.”

Jisoo nods, merely to let the girl know she’s been listening. She doesn’t always have much to say and when it comes to love she’s not great to talk to.

Jennie slips her hands in her pockets to protect them from the cold. She hadn’t intended to stay at the park for more than some minutes, but that changed with her Professor arrival.

“How old were you when you started with martial arts?” she asks curiously.

Jennie can’t see Professor Kim’ figure that well with that far too large shirt, though she bets she has abs. The sweats and shirt create a different sight than the suits Professor Kim wears to teach.