Chapter Twenty-Five: Mother Reconciliation

Jennie rushes inside the second the door opens, before her mother gets the chance to say hello. It’s very cold outside and she was already halfway through when she realized she forgot her gloves and her scarf. If Jisoo would know she would get one hell of a lecture.

“Jennie,” Chaerin says, surprised as she quickly shuts the door. “You’re here."

“Hey, mom,” Jennie replies while hugging her briefly. “Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,” she says sheepishly.

“Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well, honey."

Jennie sees the warm smile on her mother’s face and hears the affection in her voice, which makes her feel guilty that she didn’t contact her for a few weeks.

“How is everything going?” she asks casually, unsure where else to begin.

“Busy as always,” Chaerin answers, gesturing at her couch. “I’ve been having more patients, mostly due to accidents on ice.”

“Hmm yeah, it’s slippery outside,” Jennie replies, sitting down on her mother’s couch.

“About earlier…,” Chaerin says softly. “I have your best interest at heart, Jen.”

“I know you do, mom,” Jennie says, sighing quietly. She’s well aware that her mother’s intentions are well placed. “But you have to understand that this is more than a dream I have. It’s my passion. I can’t picture my life without art.”

“You have wanted to become an artist ever since you could speak,” Chaerin says, chuckling. “Which is why I have been thinking about what I said to you and I realize I may have been a bit harsh when I practically demanded you to drop out. I’m sorry.”

“It did come across a tad harsh,” Jennie agrees. “Your support would mean so much to me.”

“I never meant to upset you, honey,” Chaerin replies, placing her hand on her daughter’s knee. “If you want to pursue art so badly, I will support you. However, I do have one condition.”

Jennie has a hopeful smile upon hearing that her mother will support her. “What’s the condition?” she asks cautiously.

“I don’t want you to drop any of your other classes,” Chaerin answers, squeezing her daughter’s knee. “Even while you pursue art, I want you to have a backup plan, as a safety net.”

“Okay,” Jennie replies, because it’s a reasonable request. If she wouldn’t immediately make it as an artist it would be wise to have something else she can do until she does. “I can stay in the art program then?”

“Yes, as long as your grades don’t suffer under it.”

“They won’t,” Jennie assures, planning to make sure she studies hard. “My grades have always been good and I know I’m putting a lot on my fork right now, but I can manage it.”

“I will get some milk and cookies,” Chaerin says as she gets up from her couch. “I’ll be right back.”

Jennie is relieved that Jisoo convinced her to come see her mother. It’s nice to no longer have to argue about art. Maybe she shouldn’t have been so quick to say she’d stay with her father, although she’s likely going to spend a big chunk of her summer at his place anyway.

A lot has changed over the last four months and it’s been intense. Four months ago she had a boyfriend who she thought was so sweet, but who turned out to be a cheater and who is currently in prison for the vending machine stunt. Back then she didn’t have contact with her father and art seemed like a lost dream. Now she has an amazing girlfriend, she’s seeing her father again and she’s pursuing her passion to become an artist.