Chapter Thirty-Four: Professor Birthday

Jennie nervously paces around in the bathroom and she hates how careless she has been. It was wrong of her to think that missing her pill a few times wouldn’t be a big deal, thinking it wouldn’t leave her system that fast since she’s been on the pill for several years. Her mother is a doctor for Christ sakes, so as her daughter who knows a thing or two she should have known better.

Her period is late, which is freaking her out. She was supposed to get her period three days ago and she still doesn’t have it. Three days doesn’t directly seem like something to worry about because she knows it can be infrequent, but her period has always been on time, like clockwork, considering she’s on the pill.

There have been times where on a rare occasion her period was a day late, but three days gives her a bad feeling. By now it’s far too late to collect a morning after pill, which in hindsight she should have thought of a lot sooner. The time that her box was empty and she had asked Chaeyoung to buy her a new one, who couldn’t, wasn’t the only time she skipped a day.

To say that it was reckless of her to be so careless about it is an understatement. She’s been in a relationship for almost four months now, which isn’t really that long yet. It’s not a good time to be stressing about not having her period yet because Jisoo's twenty-eight birthday is tomorrow and she still has a few things to organize.

There’s a knock on the bathroom door and when she doesn’t say anything, Dara enters.

“I placed all the ingredients for the cake in the kitchen,” Dara says with a sweet smile. She frowns when Jennie grips the sink. “Is something wrong, sweetie?"

Jennie slowly exhales and drags her eyes up to look at her stepmother. “I’m just feeling a little off, that's all,” she answers, not wanting to share that she’s worried she could possibly be pregnant. Maybe she’s freaking out too fast because three days isn’t that much. She could get her period any second now.

Dara puts the palm of her hand against Jennie's forehead. “Hmm,” she says, dropping her hand. “You look a little pale. Did something happen?"

Jennie wrings her hands together and chews the inside of her cheek. Even if she would dare to say what’s on her mind, she can’t because that would mean she would have to explain that her girlfriend has a penis. It’s not up to her to share such personal information about Jisoo.

“I’m fine, Dara,” Jennie says with a weak smile. “Are you going to help me to bake that cake? I’m kind of a disaster in the kitchen sometimes.”

“I’d love to,” Dara answers, giving Jennie's forearms a gentle squeeze. “I checked all the ingredients to make sure none of them have traces of nuts."

“I appreciate your help,” Jennie replies, feeling like she should show Dara more than she does.

Together they leave the bathroom to go to the kitchen.

Jennie will have to keep a steady hand for when she decorates the cake once it’s finished. There’s no need to panic yet, though she’s panicking a little bit on the inside. Maybe she’s overthinking it too much, but she can’t help but wonder how Jisoo would react if she really would end up being pregnant. Their relationship is still in an early stage and she’d hate to spook her away.

“How about I bake the cake so you can work on the birthday card you were making for her?” Dara suggests, kindly smiling as she rests a hand on Jennie's shoulder. “Once it’s done, you can decorate it.”

“Um sure, yes,” Jennie replies, a little bit distracted. “Tomorrow when I’m done with my classes I’ll come pick the cake up so I can take it to Jisoo.”