Chapter 6: Behind Wheels

Lo and behold, the base was lined with complex vehicles, weapons, and machinery that Mei was somehow able to make or afford. If Mei did make something usually only professionals can make, that says a lot about how much education has improved for these past years...or Mei just has a bunch of good tutors. Her parents are well off, and she is homeschooled.

"Mei, when did you make this?!" MK asked with his jaws agape.

"How did you make this?!" Pigsy asked in a similar fashion, with Tang scooting to Sandy in the background.

"Say Sandy, weren't you building a secret base for MK too?"

"Umm..." Sandy looked away. "No."

While everyone else looked around, you walked towards what you assumed to be your vehicle. You walked around it and ran your fingers on each and every gimmick installed, all the while Gibby tried pressing every button she could find. It's times like these when you're thankful she's intangible.

Hopping into the seat, you looked at all the levers and buttons that filled the control panel. This was definitely made for you, since this seat wouldn't fit Sandy. It probably used to, and Mei might've just swapped the seat for a smaller one, since Sandy's is also here somewhere.

After all, let's say Mei did make all this. She only met you yesterday. She couldn't have made it all in a day, right?

...

Right?

"Uhhh, didn't you said you couldn't drive?" MK asked from behind you. For how long he was there, you couldn't even bother guessing anymore.

"Well, I-I did." You stuttered, your eyes being ever so slightly tempted by the shiny control panel. "Buuuut..."

"Buuut, it comes with a manual!" Mei chimed in, handing you a little instruction booklet. Opening it, you saw blueprints and images of certain parts and mechanics. Great and all, if not for one problem...

"I...don't know Mandarin..." You squinted, looking at the amount of unfamiliar characters that filled the pages.

"Oh right..." Mei muttered, with MK butting in.

"You said you're from the Southeast, right?"

"Lucky..." Gibby murmured, grumpily crossing her arms while floating in front of you. "You guys have so much durian..."

'You like durian?'

"You know, I wouldn't mind tutoring you." Tang boastfully joined the conversation, before turning to Pigsy with a menacing aura. "All I ask is some free noodles."

Pigsy faced the scholar with an annoyed look, forcing a 'fine' through gritted teeth. "But only once a day!" He sharply added, glaring at the smug Tang. Sandy assured his old friend that he'd pay for it, while the rest continued to converse with each other.

All but you.

You looked at each and every person here, thinking about all that they did for you. As if the stuff you mentioned in the bathroom wasn't enough, turns out they bought you clothing, necessities, a whole damn vehicle, and Mandarin lessons. It just...felt too good to be true.

Do they...want something from you? Why won't they just tell you already? Why are they smothering you like this? Are they trying to love bomb you? Make you feel like you owe them? Can you even tell what's fake and what's sincere? You wouldn't know! And the worst part?!

It's driving you insane.

"W-Why are you guys doing all of this?"

Everyone faced you, cutting off the conversation as MK rose a confused brow.