Chapter 42: Now They Know

Groundwater trickled down the stalactites, forming the puddles that Spindrax occasionally stepped on. The Silken Web Cave, she has only heard about through accounts of different people. But now that she was here, it truly hit home the fact that she was treading into new territory.

Pulling her collar up, she ushered Silky to hide inside it, keeping both the tarantula and the doc's goggles away from view. The goggles, the last remaining traces of the doc after the collapse of the Moon Waves Palace. Being the most damning evidence she can use to spark questioning within the clan, its safety was one of her topmost priorities.

Careful not to trip on any webs, she watched her step while being mindful of the green spider-bot eggs as well. Paying no mind at the stares she was getting, either from other spider demons or from the whispers, she counted her inhales, exhaling to maintain a calm rhythm.

She wasn't scared, she told herself. She is the Vulpes' youngest operative, being the same for a certain other clan, some good months or even a year before. Her words to you repeated in her mind, listing down the reasons why she shouldn't be scared. From street races to underground pit fights, from once being in a biker gang to even being a weapons tester. And her biggest boast of all?

No one even knew her real background.

This was not her first song and dance with this type of mission. She had no real reason to think that this one will be any different. But the way that these other people, thinking she's one of them...Some of them resembling faces from other missing posters...It felt like the ultimate test. 

Going into it, she thought she was already over with the identity crisis that came with her transformation. But with the uncertainty in her gut, she began to question if her time in Wuhan wasn't enough. Blending in would do her a good favor in this mission, not so much for her psyche.

When was the last time she bled red, and not this toxic shade of green? The memories, already old and still feeling fresh. Faint sounds of a heart monitor came to mind, small tubes filled with red coming from a bag of donated blood surfacing into her mind. Her blood only became this shade of green the moment the venom tainted it. 

Gulping, she forced herself back in the present, confronting the fact that these other lavender-skinned, green-eyed beings found themselves in a similar fate. Eyes on the prize, Spindrax. Ignore them, ignore the whispers, and ignore the room with the ominous blue projection of some giant bone mech-wait what?

Stopping in her tracks, Spindrax had to do a double take before taking a small peak into the room, a blue glow being the main light source as the magical projection towered over her. Observing the projection was a little girl in white and blue. This...this was the doc's daughter? But then that would mean, the last thing the scientist saw before being turned...

Was his own daughter, possessed by this wicked...thing.

Spindrax, she has only seen pictures of the girl. Hearing praises from her father during and after working hours with other coworkers. From everything he said, she sounded like a good kid. A capable fighter too, if her taking summer classes in a dojo said anything. She admittedly looked forward to meet the kid face to face.

...But not like this.

A turn of her head made Spindrax bolt past the room, barely avoiding eye contact as she continued her way. She didn't see her, right? Gods, she hoped not. She'd rather not entertain the idea, with her getting closer to the throne room. By this point, the clan was big enough for Queenie to not recognize her as an outsider. So she should be good to go.

"Perhaps you should make yourself useful elsewhere."

'Or not...'

Holding Spindrax by the shoulder, the girl's cold touch sent shivers down her spine. "The queen has many matters to attend to."