Chapter 27: Missing Posters

"I know the officers said they'll update me when something comes up, but...I searched it up online and-"

Xue's gaze fell on the cityscape below them, past the glass walls that shielded the main office. And yet, the luxurious view wasn't enough to distract her from forming small ripples in the cup of tea in her hands.

"It says the chance of finding a missing child lessens after the first three days...And now that it's Lunar New Years and everyone's celebrating... "

Guilt and worry began to surface, grip tightening on the cup despite the temperature of the contents inside. Kumquat sat on her lap, looking up to figure out what was wrong with his owner.

"I just can't help but feel selfish when I look at their faces and hope that...that I'm not the only one going through something on what's supposed to be a day of happiness..."

"Personally, I never really found the police to be helpful." Another voice replied.

Removing her focus from the reflection in the tea, Xue looked up to see the fox spirit sitting in front of her. Three fiery bronze tails swept to the side to make room for sitting space, paired with short hair with spiked tips that could be compared to a helmet.

"I-I wouldn't say that for all of them!" The weather technician defended. "Two have been of great help! An officer that goes by the nickname Huntsman? Yeah, him and a new recruit, if I'm not remembering wrong again."

"I'm not saying all of them are utterly useless, but it's been harder since the last election." The fox-eared fashion designer clarified, sipping into their own cup.

"...You have four children, right Mister- Miss, Xia? erm-"

"Spare yourself with the honorifics, you don't work here." The huli-jing limped a hand. "Zixin is good enough for me. But that's right, I have four kits. They could be little spitfires but..."

They then lowered their cup, looking at the fellow parent with pity.

"I couldn't fathom what it would be like to have one of them go missing..."

Lights began to dim as the sky turned into a deeper shade of orange, casting rays of solemn amber on both of their faces. The rays complemented the orange fur of the cat on Xue's lap, who yawned before going back to sleep.

"Am I...doing enough?" Xue suddenly asked, one of her worries finally surfacing into her shaky voice. "Is there something I'm missing? Everyone who I reached out to did so much to help, but I feel like I'm just-"

"Xue, you are doing all that you can." Zixin assured. "But if we're going by this Blue's statement, then this isn't a normal missing child case. Knowing both Song and Shihan's line of work, it's better not to get too in the way."

"Does-" Xue suddenly piped up. "Does Song even know?"

"I'm not so sure myself." Zixin admitted, eyes trailing down into the cityscape beside them. "As far as I know, it's a one-way communication. The rest of Vulpes can listen, but there's currently no way to respond back."

Xue silently nodded, staring down at the cup that hasn't touched her lips a single time, tea only left to cool as she couldn't find it in herself to even swallow her own saliva.

"...Xue, I know this is a really difficult time. But you're already doing as much as you can for Lily." The fox spirit stated with solemn words. "If you really feel like you could do more, I'd tell you to be more on guard for Rasmus as well. The boy's parents are at the other side of the world. If something were to happen to him here, they won't be able to do much from where they are." 

"And if I've learned anything from being his supervisor, it's that he tends to only share results, never the complications in the process. At least outside of his age group, from what I gather from Alix." They added, lifting their cup closer to their lips.