Chapter 44: Modus Operandi

(A/N): G'day folks. Late update, I know. So that's why I made another extra long chapter to make up for it! Anyways, without further ado, happy reading!

--

Flower Fruit Mountain has always been a nice change in scenery. Instead of the bustling city of Megapolis, you had this little island-sized paradise where you could just...breathe. Slow down. That was definitely something you haven't been doing a lot, and it was really starting to show.

You made no attempt to get off of the plush couch, your eyes still adjusting your surroundings after your training with Rasmus left you dizzy. Safe in the Monkey King's humble little abode, you left yourself completely motionless, letting your pulse take over the ringing in your ears.

"You sure you're doing okay, little dude?" The gentle giant asked beside you, offering you to take the glass of water he was holding. "You've been doing a lot these past few weeks." Seeing as you weren't taking the glass, he instead set it down on the coffee table. "It's okay to keep training, but if you keep forcing yourself like this, you might get sick."

You turned your head to face him with an unconvinced look "Sick? Really?" Reclining yourself back on the couch, you blew a stray strand of hair off your face. "I've survived with less than a sandwich a day. I'll live."

"Bell, although I agree that you are more resilient to regular illnesses, you still have your curse hindering your health." Rasmus joined in, assuming your last statement was hopefully just exaggeration as he sat beside you as well. 

He showed a more concerned smile, hoping you would show more concern for yourself as well. "You may have been revived like all passengers, but that doesn't make you immune from all diseases."

"Right, you still haven't told us about that." MK butted in, pressing his cheek against yours while glaring at you suspiciously. That did not last long as he pushed himself off, going back to rummaging around the hut for this super powerful weapon that should supposedly make him stronger.

You sighed, finding no more excuses to keep the secret from them. After all, the constant villains-of-the-week barging in and yapping about wanting to harvest you was sure to raise some questions with the rest of the group. You were about to answer, but-

"Basically, Bell is one of the people that drowned a long time ago, but got revived again!" Gibby already beat you to it, leaning her stomach on the couch while swinging her legs like a teenage girl. "There was a huge ship that drowned and-"

"Okay, we get it Gibby." You picked her up like a little rag doll, before plopping her on Rasmus' lap. With her out of the way, it was your turn to explain yourself. "Ever since passengers started being revived and all, demons started seeing them as effective batteries for the shards I've been collecting. These shards are used to power up different weapons, machines, or anything else that needs magic."

Digging your hand into your pocket, you took out a shard in its pacified form, which is a longer way to say a piece of stone. "My basic mission is to pacify these shards, so people won't have any reason to take life and harvest their victim's pain anymore." 

Everyone looked at the small shard of stone on your palm, the sharp edges being one wrong move away from leaving a cut. "I've found out that they can be powered by other emotions like happiness and stuff, but pain, especially when dying, seems to be the most...potent option. So, demons...and oh who am I kidding? Demons and humans, go for that route."

"So...That's why those bad guys were trying to capture you?" Sandy asked, the truth slowly dawning on him. That was what they wanted to do to you all along? The person that has been staying under his roof, constantly having to evade that fate without his knowledge, and only finding out about it now...Was that failure on his part?