Chapter 41: Seeds Of Doubt

The recent days have been pretty grueling. What was basically an arms race has taken a toll on yourself, dragging your feet as more was being demanded. Gibby said the curse should go away on its own as long as nobody keeps triggering it, but it was still contributing to your already exhausted state.

Sitting beside MK as he did his usual delivery job, you caught yourself almost dozing off a couple of times. It didn't go unnoticed by the Monkie Kid either, and especially not Gibby. Nonetheless, they didn't do anything about it, letting you rest while MK asked Gibby about Monkey King's whereabouts...which she changed the topic into something else.

You watched the vibrant scenery as you passed by every building. Shop owners opening their shops, people getting ready for work, or just hanging around with friends. So many things were happening in the background and yet...

These people have been living their lives as if everything was normal.

It was nice, you guessed. Being in complete ignorant bliss. Just going by life normally with just normal things bothering you. No worrying about demon politics, no worrying about what's basically a cold war but (thankfully) a lot smaller...

Just stuff like worrying about being late for your job, or worrying about forgetting your keys. You closed your eyes. That would've been nice. But that was the thing. You were good at many things...

Lying to yourself wasn't one of those things.

But at the same time, watching these civilians being completely unbothered, knowing nothing about the incoming dangers...

It made you feel alienated...

Only when you are sure that neither MK nor Gibby were looking, you opened your hand, summoning more black chess pieces you've gathered from broken blood oaths so far. The fruits of your labor, and more to come. 

Well, if all goes to plan, that is...

That's what you were scared of the most.

That your efforts were all for nothing...

You clutched your fists, de-summoning the chess pieces.

You didn't drown just to die again...

You slowly breathed, letting yourself close your eyes for a bit while you let the vehicle carry your weight. One of the rare times when you could just let yourself relax. Might as well cherish this moment while it lasted.

Feeling the tuk-tuk slow to a stop, you opened your heavy lids to see MK staring at the place you stopped at. "Woah..." He awed. "I can't believe that just under this place was where I found the staff..."

Stepping off of the vehicle, you grabbed one of the orders as you took in the view. In front of you, stood the entrance of a halotherapy house where the construction site once was. Warm light shone through the windows, while marble stairs lead you to the glass doors. "This is the place, alright."

Hopping off of MK's head, Gibby landed on yours, letting you take the lead. Hands firmly holding onto the noodles, you swung the doors open to be greeted by the receptionist. Busying herself with making sure everything was tidy and spotless, she then gave you a look of confusion. She was told not to expect any clients until tomorrow.

"You...know that the grand opening is still tomorrow, right?" She asked, prompting you to present the noodles.

"Someone ordered some noodles here." You stated, Gibby idly swaying her tail on top of you. "Am I in the right address?"

The receptionist mouthed an 'oh'. "Oh yeah, one of my coworkers did order some noodles earlier." She then gestured you to enter the storage room. "You can give it to him in there. Tell him not to make too much of a mess though, we're trying to make everything ready for some important guests."