Chapter 21: One At A Time

It was contradictory.

How the uneasiness of the waters rocked the boat, yet bring tranquility like a parent rocking their child's crib.

How the cup of tea near you was supposed to make sleeping easier, only to boost your tolerance to the point that it had no effect anymore.

How Gibby, Sandy, Mei, and MK rest peacefully, which under normal circumstances, should be calming. Instead, it made you question how they could be so calm, no matter the thoughts that currently plagued their minds.

You wouldn't lie...

You envied them.

At first, you tried Sandy's sleepy tea. But like mentioned before, that didn't work.

But then you tried to start a food coma. It wasn't working, and you didn't want to empty the snack cabinet that fast.

And then you just lied down. With your eyes shut, your other senses did what they were supposed to do. That only lead to you being hyperaware of every snore, every shift, every mumble. No matter how many times you shift to the other side or change positions, nothing seemed to work.

Maybe it didn't help that Stain was back, with Gibby being asleep and all. They didn't even say anything. They just sat on the corner and...stared. Mockingly. Watching you with curious eyes, just to see you struggle. Just to see how long it'll take until you finally gave up.

You weren't willing to give them that satisfaction, so you tried to ignore them even being there. But keeping your eyes shut wasn't doing you any favors. Stain was silent as a dead body, but the creaking of the boat and the sound of the still waves sent an uneasy feeling through your being.

That the thing could sink at anytime.

You have water powers now, sure. But that little voice in you that urges you to stay alert only fueled the fire of worries that kept spiraling in your head, no matter how much you wanted it to cease.

Hesitantly, you sat up, before looking at the others sleeping nearby. Mei snored the loudest, laying sprawled on her sleeping bag within the comfort of her dragon onesie. MK was more in an infant-like position, clinging onto a pillow with both arms and legs while his hair breathed freely with the lack of his iconic bandana.

Gibby slept soundly on a nest made from the ruined pillow fort, where she curled up into a ball, not too different from Mo who was next to her. Finally, there was Sandy. In typical Sandy fashion, he wore a nightcap, eye covers, a striped nightgown, and hair rollers on his beard. The big guy snored as well, although less louder than Mei.

Good, they're all asleep.

Carefully, you pushed yourself up, slowly shimmying yourself off the blankets until you were finally on your feet. Still ignoring the inky elephant in the room, you went ahead and grabbed your phone to check the time.

'4:08am'

You unplugged it, now with the battery full and all. With that out of the way, you made sure not to step on any cat tails as you walked closer to the door with silent steps. You slowly turned the knob and swung the door open, keeping the noises and creaks to a minimum.

Stepping outside and into the deck, you were greeted with the cool ocean breeze, the dark blue sky, and the blanket of fog that covered both the waters and the city itself. The fog made it harder to see that small faraway mountain that you sometimes see when you squint close enough.

Still ignoring the dark entity standing on the doorstep, you made your way to the sea-crate base. A quick trip inside later, you sat yourself in front of the monitor before powering the thing on.