Chapter 34: Skipped Mandarin Lesson

"Bit extra to keep me all tied up, don't cha think comrade?" You piped up, struggling to move your arms behind you. "Is this how you treat all of your guests?"

Weird way to start an introduction, you thought. First, you were just knocking on the gates, and next you were being thrown into a rusty old dungeon. All you wanted was a little talking, it wasn't like you came in with your finger to a trigger.

Though maybe you should've hid the flutes when you first came here.

Ignoring your annoying quips was the Single-horned Rhinoceros King, not exactly pleased with your presence. Without any words to fill the awkward silence, he locked the dungeon gates. Accompanying you was a classic skeleton hanging by the chains. A popular choice of decor for demon royalty these days, it seemed.

Looking past the dungeon, the orange glow of magma and the green flames in the fire bowls brought a bit more light to this otherwise dark cave. The place itself was also decorated with horns where some of the stalactites and stalagmites should've been, while smaller horns hung from the wires to a bit more of an impression of who's boss.

"Not much of a talker, are you?" You sighed, having to fill the void of silence yourself. The Rhino King only glared at you with eyes that glowed orange, huffing out air from his nostrils. He looked down on you, crossing his arms and inspecting you for any signs of hostility.

"State your purpose here."

"We're keeping it straightforward, huh?" You adjusted yourself a bit, getting into a more comfortable sitting position. "I mean, I couldn't blame you for being more on edge. Especially after Spider Queen used you as a battery that one time-"

The demon king suddenly banged his fist against the wall, causing small pieces of ceiling to fall off. Hitting a nerve wasn't so hard after all.

"You call yourself a guest, and then proceed to mock me in my presence?" He growled threateningly. Somewhat similar to DBK, but lacking the poorly hidden anger issues. "I asked for your purpose, little hero. Answer me this instant!"

"I'm here to make our jobs easier, good enough?" You snarked, not exactly able to raise your currently tied hands in casual surrender. "Queenie must've paid special attention to you if her mech gave me and my friends that hard of a job."

Ego successfully stroked, the Rhino King said nothing. He continued to glare at you, waiting to see where you planned to take this conversation.

"Well, word's spread that she's planning a second attack." You warned, tilting your head slightly. "And having you get captured again wouldn't just be annoying for you, but for us as well." 

"You get where I'm going at, right comrade?"

"So you're alluding to a truce?" guessed the king, still skeptical of such a proposal. "How will I be sure you won't manipulate the situation to your favor."

You suppressed a knowing smile, satisfied of the progress so far. "That's what blood oaths are for, right?"

The Rhino King's eyes widened in interest, but still wasn't fully convinced. You did at least did something, seeing his fingers swiping through the dangling keys.

"...Quite a tempting offer you've made, little hero." The king admitted, nodding as a sign of slight respect. "But I have already made my decision. My last encounters with the youngest spider sister has told me everything I needed to be watchful of."

"Really now?" You challenged. 

"Even her little errand girl?"

The mere mention of the teal demon sent the king to grab the bronze spear from his back, spinning it and digging it into the ground. The action caused the green flames to die, leaving only the dim glow of the magma to illuminate the cave.